Billy
Billy, Trainer/ Master Technician
Experience:  Trainer 18+ years - master tech. 20+ years, SAE member
30385560

My car has been in the garage for 3 years, I got it out the

My car has been in the garage for 3 years, I got it out the other day, put a new battery on
JA: Have you tested the battery with a voltmeter? And can you see if it's leaking or not?
Customer: drove it round the block but every now and then it dosent change up through the auto box
JA: What is the model/year of your Mercedes?
Customer: ckl430 2001
JA: Are you fixing your vehicle yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: i haven’t yet, it’s been in the garage for 3 years, I need to find a mechanic that could have a look please
JA: Is there anything else the Mechanic should know before I connect you? Rest assured that they'll be able to help you.
Customer: it needs an mot

Hello and welcome! I'm Billy and I will assist you with your inquiry. I understand that having car problems can be frustrating so please feel free to ask if any further info is needed. If you get prompted for a premium service or a phone call, please ignore that, cause I don't think it is needed at this point. My apologies for the delay, thank you for your patience. May I know your first name?

Customer: replied 14 days ago.
File attached (PQ2MMS7)

The transmission "forgot" the adaptation parameters. I would start by checking the fluid, top up or replace if needed. Having done so, you can either reset the adaptation parameters using diagnostic equipment, or drive it a few times as following:

- start from 0 mph, with the selector on D, and the engine warmed up.

- press the accelerator pedal around 10 to 20 percent (light load).

- allow the vehicle to speed up and go through all the gears.

- then slow down back to 0.

- then repeat the process twice.

This looks in excellent condition.

Customer: replied 14 days ago.
How do I check transmission fluid
Customer: replied 14 days ago.
Billie how do I check transmission fluid

You need to have a garage check it for you. Because Mercedes engineers decided not to include a dipstick in the fill tube. So you can open it, but there's no dipstick. If you have a dipstick, park the vehicle on a leveled surface, with engine on and warm, transmission shifter in P, and the level should be between the low and high marks (hot). Top it up to reach the high mark, if you don't intend to replace it.