Billy
Billy, Trainer/ Master Technician
Experience:  Trainer 18+ years - master tech. 20+ years, SAE member
30385560

We received a fault message saying ‘full power no longer

We received a fault message saying ‘full power no longer available, drive moderately, get checked at next BMW center’. Only now if we look in the sat nav menu under faults it’s not listed anymore and we haven’t stopped driving.
JA: What is the model/year of your BMW?
Customer: X5 diesel 12 years old - dk exact year
JA: How old is the engine? And when was it last serviced?
Customer: just serviced 500 miles ago - 46000 miles on clock total - engine not been replaced so presumably 12 years old
JA: Are you fixing your X5 yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: nothing!
JA: Is there anything else the Mechanic should know before I connect you? Rest assured that they'll be able to help you.
Customer: No

Hello and welcome! I'm Billy and I will assist you with your inquiry. I understand that having car problems can be frustrating so please feel free to ask if any further info is needed. If you get prompted for a premium service or a phone call, please ignore that, cause I don't think it is needed at this point. My apologies for the delay, thank you for your patience. May I know your first name?

Customer: replied 13 days ago.
Craig Smith
Customer: replied 13 days ago.
No need. Just want to know if we need to go to service center or not
Customer: replied 13 days ago.
Did you see our message?
Customer: replied 13 days ago.
Sorry just responding to the phone prompt

The engine control unit defaulted to limp mode when that happened. This is caused when this unit detects faults. If the faults are not continuous, the message will go away. However, faults will still be stored.

If the problem happens again, you will need to connect diagnostic equipment to get the faults. If you have access, I can explain the faults, tell you what needs checking and how to check, in order to fix this.

As mentioned earlier, no phone calls are needed. This is an automated message by the system.

Customer: replied 13 days ago.
Ok

Hello Craig!

Most commonly on this model, the fault would be caused by a faulty mass air flow sensor. But we need to get the faults (only if the problem happens again) and we can proceed as needed.

Customer: replied 13 days ago.
Ok great so if it happens again we need to go to a service center as we don’t have our own diagnostic kit

Exactly. And it doesn't need to be the dealership. Any garage with some experience on BMW models should do.

Customer: replied 13 days ago.
Ok perfect thanks for letting us know!

Thank you for your trust Craig. Cheers.

Customer: replied 13 days ago.
Ok bye

Bye.