Phillip H
Phillip H, Auto Mechanic
Experience:  Vehicle Technician at Richmond Motor Services
108937146

My 2002 mini one is stuck in D and when I disconnect the

My 2002 mini one is stuck in D and when I disconnect the linkage at gearbox end the actuating arm is solid and won't move
JA: Are you fixing your MINI yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: I bypassed the inhibitor switch and can now start engine but lever still won't move
JA: Have you checked the battery, particularly the terminal connections? Are they corroded?
Customer: Battery is new and properly connected
JA: Is there anything else the Mechanic should know before I connect you? Rest assured that they'll be able to help you.
Customer: The car is easily pushed and when engine is running I thought it would drive as its in D but that's not happening
Hiya

It sounds like an internal failure of the Selector Mechanism within the Transmission Assy.  The Selector Rod that goes through into the Transmission usually operates the Selector Valve within the Valve Block allowing Oil to pass through into the correct parts off the Valve Block for Gear Selection.  It also usually operates a position switch within the Transmission so the module knows which pumps and clutches etc to operate.

Unfortunately this is a fairly specialised job to strip, diagnose and repair Automatic Transmission and most places these days simply remove the Transmission Assy and fit a new one.

Phillip

Customer: replied 12 days ago.
Ok thanks its just what I thought it might be so its an engine and gearbox out job

Hiya

On some vehicle it may be possible to remove the Transmission Pan and remove the Valve Block Assy without taking the whole Engine / Transmission Assy out.  I'm not sure if this will be one of them because there is usually a distinct lack of room!

On Minis it may be that the front of the vehicle (Radiator etc.) needs to be removed in order to gain better access to the Transmission or that the whole Engine / Transmission Assy needs to be removed.

Phillip

Customer: replied 12 days ago.
your right --- once all the front is removed it becomes easier access--- getting the front off is another matter
Hiya

Nothing easy on a Mini unfortunately! I would suggest obtaining some quotes for the work and then deciding if the vehicle is worth the repair.

Phillip

Customer: replied 12 days ago.
Been quoted £1800--£2200so I will remove gearbox myself and get a recon---£450 and thanks for your advice

Hiya

No problem at all.

Phillip