Billy
Billy, Trainer/ Master Technician
Experience:  Trainer 18+ years - master tech. 20+ years, SAE member
30385560

Need to decode engine number of mercedes sprinter van, its

Customer Question

need to decode engine number of mercedes sprinter van
JA: How many miles are on the car? Is it an automatic or a manual transmission?
Customer: its not a car it is a mercedes sprinter van, automatic
JA: What year is your Sprinter?
Customer: 2007
JA: Are you fixing your Sprinter yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: yes
JA: Is there anything else the Mechanic should know before I connect you? Rest assured that they'll be able to help you.
Customer: no
Category: Car
Expert:  sebastian manrique replied 16 days ago.

Dear customer my name is***** the expert who will attend you today, I am reviewing your query at the moment you are viewing this message, if you wish you can tell me your name, to know who I have the pleasure to talk to, also if possible I would like you to send me a photo or video in which your fault is better appreciated, it would help a lot to improve my final answer. If you have done a previous check or diagnosis in which you have obtained any error codes, that would also be helpful. Please note that the system will automatically offer you a service call, this has an additional cost to the initial cost of the consultation, and not in all cases it is necessary, so I recommend you to dispense with the call for now, we can continue through this chat without any problem. Thank you very much for trusting in the just answer.

Dear customer, this code would be on the front of the engine. Otherwise, on the driver's side, at the bottom of the windscreen, check behind the windscreen wipers. As a last solution, check the hinges on the edge of the driver's door.

Customer: replied 16 days ago.
we have the number we need to decode it, it is a replacement
Customer: replied 16 days ago.
no phone call
Customer: replied 16 days ago.
easier to type, conned me said it was only £5, I am cancelling and reporting, remove my information and mobile number

Dear customer, the call is not necessary, it is an automatic notification from the system, what you want is to know which engine is compatible with your car in order to buy another one?

Customer: replied 16 days ago.
we need to decode the engine number which we have as it is a replacement engine

Didn't you get my first message where I tell you where the engine code is?

Customer: replied 16 days ago.
we have the number, did you get my answer
Customer: replied 16 days ago.
as you are not understanding the question correctly, could I speak to GREG please

Dear customer, at this moment I think it is not found because your question had a few minutes on the wall of questions, so I took it, if you are so kind you could tell me your vin code?

Customer: replied 16 days ago.
We need to speak to someone who knows about Mercedes Sprinter Van 2007, vin code won't work it is a replacement engine as I have stated previously, it is not a car

Dear customer, I will proceed to abandon the question, as I am not managing to understand if you need the part number to get a replacement engine, or if you want to get the engine number for your current car, I hope that soon some expert on our site can assist you, I have experience in Mercedes Sprinter, but I am not managing to understand what you need.

Customer: replied 16 days ago.
thank you, ***** ***** the new mechanic
Customer: replied 16 days ago.
no response, hopefully i will be able to speak to someone tomorrow who can help me or I will be cancelling the account. Goodnight to whoever sees this chat
Expert:  Billy replied 15 days ago.

Hello and welcome! I'm Billy and I will assist you with your inquiry. I understand that having car problems can be frustrating so please feel free to ask if any further info is needed. If you get prompted for a premium service or a phone call, please ignore that, cause I don't think it is needed at this point. My apologies for the delay, thank you for your patience. May I know your first name?

Also please let me know the number you have. If you have multiple numbers post them all.

Expert:  Billy replied 15 days ago.

Please let me know the engine number, so I get the details.

Customer: replied 15 days ago.
Hello Billy, i am Steve, I need to know the basic specification and year of manufacture of Engine Number(code) of: 01198050601324 It is fitted to my mercedes sprinter and is NOT the original engine
Expert:  Billy replied 15 days ago.

Hello Steve,

Just to confirm, this is a four cylinder engine.

Expert:  Billy replied 15 days ago.

You have the 601 engine, a four cylinder diesel engine. It's called OM601 by Mercedes. I'm getting the details.

Expert:  Billy replied 15 days ago.

This engine is a 2 liter engine, normally aspirated. The output is rated between 52 and 55 KW.

Expert:  Billy replied 15 days ago.

This is actually a 2.3 liter engine. This is the last and biggest version, and the output is 58 KW. It was fitted on Mercedes Sprinter vans between 1995 and 2000.

Expert:  Billy replied 15 days ago.

I will include all the details here in pdf.

Customer: replied 15 days ago.
Thank you very much Billy, its really very odd because the engine is fitted in my 07 sprinter running as a twin turbo...
Expert:  Billy replied 15 days ago.
Very odd indeed. But in this case, I believe that you got the number from the engine block (the format matches pefectly, so it should not be a wrong number) and the cylinder head was replaced.