Billy
Billy, Trainer/ Master Technician
Experience:  Trainer 18+ years - master tech. 20+ years, SAE member
30385560

Offside Front Upper Suspension arm corroded but not

Offside Front Upper Suspension arm corroded but not seriously weakened
Offside Front Lower Suspension arm corroded but not seriously weakened
Nearside Front Upper Suspension arm corroded but not seriously weakened
Front Brake disc worn, pitted or scored, but not seriously weakened Both sides
Nearside Rear Integral body structure is corroded but structural rigidity is not significantly reduced Last 4 outriggers corroded and holed
Offside Rear Integral body structure is corroded but structural rigidity is not significantly reduced Last 4 out riggers corroded and holed Morning we are going to look at a vehicle and the advisories from mot are above should I be concerned please, thank you.
JA: How has the ride been lately? Have you noticed any fluid under the car?
Customer: Need your advice on the advisories please, are they a major concern?
JA: What is the make/model/year of your car?
Customer: It is a iveco daily 2006
JA: Are you fixing your vehicle yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: No just need to know are they a concern please, should we purchase the vehicle?
JA: Is there anything else the Mechanic should know before I connect you? Rest assured that they'll be able to help you.
Customer: Will the mechanic contact me via online chat and does it cost anything please for advice?
Customer: replied 16 days ago.
Would really like advice on the advisories and if this is a major issue on us going ahead and purchasing the vehicle please, thank you.

Hello and welcome! I'm Billy and I will assist you with your inquiry. I understand that having car problems can be frustrating so please feel free to ask if any further info is needed. If you get prompted for a premium service or a phone call, please ignore that, cause I don't think it is needed at this point. My apologies for the delay, thank you for your patience. May I know your first name?

Customer: replied 16 days ago.
Thank you Billy
Customer: replied 16 days ago.
Cheryl

Hello Cheryl,

We have two types of problems here:

- corrosion or problems with suspension parts and brakes that can be replaced, and those do need replacing now.

- corrosion or problems with the body, which is not very severe as per the report.

If you intend to keep this van for a long time, I would not buy it. Because the body corrosion will get more severe overtime, and will cost a lot to fix. More than the value of the van.

The suspension arms and brake discs, are the problems that need immediate attention. And those can be replaced. So you will get rid of the problem. But the body structure corrosion in the rear, on both sides, is what worries me. This is not a problem at the moment, since the rigidity is not compromised. But it will become a problem in a couple of years.

Customer: replied 16 days ago.
I have looked at the mot history and these have been on the advisories for the last few years and the brakes have been done and few other things too. Would you know roughly what it would be to fix the problems please Billy, thank you.
Customer: replied 16 days ago.
File attached (QG1SVS2)
Customer: replied 16 days ago.
These are what we're fixed after mot

I will check the reports, and try to get an estimation.

Customer: replied 16 days ago.
They are asking just under 12,000 for the motorhome
Customer: replied 16 days ago.

The brakes and control arms, should cost around £400, and two hours of labor. The fuel tank strap will cost 1 hour of labor and around £120 for the part.

The body work is not urgent, so if it had been reported from a few years, then it will last more than a couple of more years to need attention.

Customer: replied 16 days ago.
Thank you and would you roughly know how much to fix the corrosion if we got the van a lot cheaper please

As it is right now (rigidity not reduced), it should cost around £400. It will only need sanding and then protection.

Customer: replied 16 days ago.
once its corroded its a continuous job and expense, it can't be fixed so there's no corrosion? Thank you Billy

Now it's surface corrosion, this is based on the report, when the corrosion start getting deep in the metal, the rigidity will be reduced. At this point, the corroded part will need to be cut, and get new metal welded in place.

Customer: replied 16 days ago.
In your opinion is it worth purchasing the vehicle if we get it at a lower price?
Customer: replied 16 days ago.
Also is welding it all really costly and would you know roughly the cost please Billy and thank you, you've been a great help

If the service history is good, and the vehicle was well maintained, and if all the other components (interior mainly) are in good condition, then yes, it would be a good deal.

Now it doesn't need welding, since it only has surface corrosion. This will need to be removed, and then the metal will need a protection coat.

Customer: replied 16 days ago.
if you were purchasing what would you want knocked off the price, if I could ask you that please Billy

I would always try to knock off the price.

Customer: replied 16 days ago.
OK thank you, you've been a great help and they should have got the brakes etc done really shouldn't they and think need to knock off around 1500 with what you've informed me of.

Hopefully you get the best deal. Thank you for your trust. Cheers.

Customer: replied 16 days ago.
Thank you Billy for all your advice and help you've been fantastic, thank you

You're very welcome.