Robert
Robert, UK Qualified Car Technician
Experience:  Fully qualified / self employed garage technician in the UK
13210289

My VW golf 2007 has had issues with EGR valve, 130k- no, FSI

Customer Question

JA: Hi. How can I help?
Customer: My VW golf 2007 has had issues with EGR valve
JA: How many miles are on the car? Have you noticed any leaks lately?
Customer: 130k- no
JA: What is the model of your '07 VW?
Customer: FSI I had halfords fit an aftermarket part and now it doesn’t run at all really Aftermarket EGR valve*
JA: Are you fixing your Fit yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: No not myself.
JA: Is there anything else the Mechanic should know before I connect you? Rest assured that they'll be able to help you.
Customer: No
Category: Car
Expert:  Robert replied 16 days ago.

Hello and thank you for using JustAnswer. My name is***** am a Vehicle Master Tech/MOT Tester located in the UK and I will do my best to assist you. During this conversation, you will be given an automated offer for a phone call.I don’t personally offer this service. I’m sorry that you’re having trouble with your vehicle. Please understand that I do not know your knowledge or capabilities so I may need to ask questions to find out basic information to help solve your specific problem. My aim is to give you the best advice possible and to help you. Sometimes it may take a moment for me to respond because I may have to look up information about your concern. I appreciate your patience and will provide responses as soon as possible. Firstly can i ask who i am speaking with today?

Customer: replied 16 days ago.
Hi Robert my name is Brendan
Expert:  Robert replied 16 days ago.
Hello Brendan.

- Where exactly did you acquire the EGR from?

- Do you have a note of the fault codes if any that was stored prior to the EGR being replaced?

Customer: replied 16 days ago.
To briefly cover: I had some issues developed with my car, and so I went to Halfords to get a diagnostics test which signalled an EGR valve issue. They have then replaced the EGR valve with an aftermarket one, and after a couple of days the exact same issue came back and now my car won’t start at all.What I’d like to know is before spending more money, how can I make sure that a genuine part will be the resolution.
Customer: replied 16 days ago.
Unfortunately I don’t have any notes of which codes appear, however the RAC came out to me the other day and he did a diagnostics test which signalled the EGR valve was still the issue
Expert:  Robert replied 16 days ago.

Ok. Firstly you need to establish why the EGR is faulty. Ideally tests need to be performed in regards ***** *****

A. Does the EGR function?

B. Is it getting getting power, signal command from ecm,grounds, you need to know if the egr is able to be commanded to open and close. component activation on scantool and live data can verify all this?

C. Is the valve stuck with carbon? given you have had it changed then you could likely rule that out. Is the EGR circuit blocked resulting in low flow codes being set? those are the questions that need to be answered or tested.. Obviously some aftermarket components can be a good alternative and its not unknown to get faulty ones,but often it best in the long run to fit a genuine unit if you can.i can say for sure if genuine one will solve your issue.based on what the fault codes are saying and the series of checks ive outlined above would likely answer that based on the findings.

Customer: replied 16 days ago.
The RAC mechanic said the aftermarket ones can be faulty.I’m genuinely worried about going and then having a genuine EGR valve fitted for it to not solve the problem
Expert:  Robert replied 16 days ago.

Totally understand. aftermarket ones can be ,but unless you get the proper testing done to find out why the EGR is faulty as ive outlined above then you'll never be confident enough to go ahead and get a genuine one installed.you need someone who can properly diagnose and test the EGR system first before committing to a genuine part.its always easy to assume when a EGR code is flagged the EGR is faulty.in some cases its not it could be control/command issue or even the valve itself stuck with carbon.

Customer: replied 16 days ago.
I understand that the issue can be more complex than the reading. I’ve been recommended to take it to a Volkswagen specialist to get it tested. Would you recommend that as well.The only reason I ask is a local VW specialist has told me they can’t look at my car for another two weeks.Another concern is that my job requires me to drive regularly and I’m 21 years old so my experience has been that I can’t borrow a courtesy car in the meantime by most places
Customer: replied 16 days ago.
Expert:  Robert replied 16 days ago.

It generally doesn't have to be "specialist" unless that's the route you prefer to take albeit more expensive. Most decent reputable garages nowadays should be able to carry out the the same procedure in testing so long as they have decent scantool and upto date technical data to guide them through the testing process based on what codes are being set in the ecm.thats the way it should be done.i know Halfords is pretty unlikely to go that far to be honest.

Customer: replied 16 days ago.
That’s great
Expert:  Robert replied 16 days ago.

Any other questions?

Customer: replied 16 days ago.
Thankyou for your advice! I’ve found this really helpful. My mate. Has recommended me to a great garage so I suppose I’ll get the RAC to tow my car up there
Expert:  Robert replied 16 days ago.

No problem, glad its helped you in the right direction at least. hope you get it sorted out.