Steve
Steve, Auto Mechanic
Experience:  Garage owner for thirty five years
106618989

Car runs for limited period then just stops. Fiat panda 1.1

Car runs for limited period then just stops. Fiat panda 1.1 petrol 2005 model.
JA: Has the vehicle turned into a gas hog? And how does it start -- same as usual?
Customer: starts on one cylinder sometimes then soon after on all four. Once on all four runs great for some minutes then dies. No faults showing on code reader.
JA: What is the model/year of your Fiat?
Customer: panda 1.1 petrol 2005 model.
JA: Are you fixing your vehicle yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: don’t know where to start, it doesn’t run long enough.
JA: Is there anything else the Mechanic should know before I connect you? Rest assured that they'll be able to help you.
Customer: I have no emergency start card for this vehicle.

Welcome to JA. My name is***** am a fully qualified vehicle technician with over thirty years in the trade. I will be happy to assist you today. Hopefully we can get this resolved quickly. You will receive an offer of a phone call by the system, this only needs to be accepted if you wish to speak to me, I can otherwise continue to answer your questions via the thread.

A problem which causes the engine to stop and then start on only one cylinder would normally give a fault code of at least intermittent misfire. With no codes showing at all the source of the problem may be in the ECU, with this in mind the place to check would be the ECU main plug, looking for any poor connections or corroded terminals.

On your panda the ECU is located by the battery under the bonnet.

Other possible scenarios are that the crankshaft sensor is failing, or a fuel pressure problem is at the source of the trouble, but normally a fault code should be logged.

I hope this answers your question but I want you to be 100% happy with the answer so do please feel free to ask any further details by replying to this thread. Thank you for using Just Answer

Steve

Customer: replied 12 days ago.
I suspected the ecu at the start. If I I get a second hand ecu, can it be programmed by most mobile electricians.

Yes The ECU on the Panda can be programmed by a mobile electrician with the equipment, They will need the old unit available to ensure they can get the old coding details off it, if needed.

Steve