Phillip H
Phillip H, Auto Mechanic
Experience:  Vehicle Technician at Richmond Motor Services
108937146

Re. Skoda Fabia automatic - it has suddenly blocked access

Customer Question

Re. Skoda Fabia automatic - it has suddenly blocked access to it. I opened it with the remote, dropped the keys inside, closed the door as I was going to load more things, and now cannot open it. My spare remote key doesnt work, the whole car remains blocked and unresponsive. Seems dead ...
JA: Is the key stripped or worn?
Customer: No.
JA: What is the model/year of your Skoda?
Customer: SE L TSI S-A
JA: What year is your Skoda?
Customer: 2016
JA: Are you fixing your vehicle yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: Nothing. Just tried to open the door manually and via remote key (spare one)
JA: Is there anything else the Mechanic should know before I connect you? Rest assured that they'll be able to help you.
Customer: Not really. The car never gave any problems, it has about 15,000 miles on the clock, is being regularly serviced by the same garage, never been involved in any accident...
Category: Car
Expert:  Phillip H replied 8 days ago.
Hiya

The vehicle has obviously not registered that there is a key inside the vehicle.  This could be due to a fault with that key fob.

Even though the Spare Key Remote Fob doesn't work you should still be able to open the vehicle with the Spare Key Blade using the lock which is usually on the Passenger Side Front Door (although sometimes on the driver door) often behind a plastic cover which needs to be prised off. Once you have gained access to the vehicle it would need a full diagnostic code read to determine what code(s) are present.  From there a diagnostic path can be established.  The fault could lie in the following places:

1. Keys
  2. Control Module
  3. Wiring

Should the fault lie with the Key Fobs then replacements will be required and these will need to be coded at a Skoda Dealer.

Phillip

Customer: replied 8 days ago.
Where exactly is the keyhole?
Customer: replied 8 days ago.
Where exactly is the keyhole located? Cannot find it.
Expert:  Phillip H replied 8 days ago.

Hiya

In the same place as a conventional keyhole.  Should be just to the rear of the handle but will probably be covered by a plastic cap which you have to lever off.

Phillip

Customer: replied 8 days ago.
Ok. Where exactly is the external keykole and how to access it? I tried both front door handles but no luck
Customer: replied 8 days ago.
Still no luck. The handle consists of 2 parts: long moving and short stationary. I tired to push and pull and slide - nothing doing. Cannot expose the hole.
Expert:  Phillip H replied 8 days ago.

Hiya

You have to remove the plastic cover to the rear of the door handle.  The lock is underneath it!

Look at the following Website: Door Lock Access  It shows an Octavia but they are in effect the same operation to gain access.

Phillip

Customer: replied 8 days ago.
Sorted out
Expert:  Phillip H replied 8 days ago.

Hiya

That's good.  Glad you have it sorted.

Phillip