Robert
Robert, UK Qualified Car Technician
Experience:  Fully qualified / self employed garage technician in the UK
13210289

I have a mercedes 2003 E320WDB211 and I am trying to

Customer Question

hi
JA: Hello. How can I help?
Customer: I have a mercedes 2003 E320WDB211 and I am trying to understand if it have Start/Stop system
JA: Will the headlights turn on? Is the battery fully charged?
Customer: Battery is dead and I can see that there are 2 types of battery normal and AGM the original battery has been replaced by previous owner and I dont know if he had installed the correct battery
JA: What is the model of your '03 Mercedes?
Customer: E320 3.2l petrol Avangarde Estate
JA: Are you fixing your E320 yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: I have taken the starter battery out, it has been fited february this year and put it to charge. I have taken out the aditional battery to have it replaced
JA: Is there anything else the Mechanic should know before I connect you? Rest assured that they'll be able to help you.
Customer: no[e
Category: Car
Expert:  Robert replied 10 days ago.

Hello and thank you for using JustAnswer. My name is***** am a Vehicle Master Tech/MOT Tester located in the UK and I will do my best to assist you. During this conversation, you will be given an automated offer for a phone call.I don’t personally offer this service. I’m sorry that you’re having trouble with your vehicle. Please understand that I do not know your knowledge or capabilities so I may need to ask questions to find out basic information to help solve your specific problem. My aim is to give you the best advice possible and to help you. Sometimes it may take a moment for me to respond because I may have to look up information about your concern. I appreciate your patience and will provide responses as soon as possible. Firstly can i ask who i am speaking with today?

Customer: replied 10 days ago.
Sabin
Expert:  Robert replied 10 days ago.

Hello Sabin.

- What your registration?

Customer: replied 10 days ago.
1 HMV
Expert:  Robert replied 10 days ago.

Ok..let me look into your query and i'll get back to you shortly

Customer: replied 10 days ago.
I have just bought this car. It has at the moment fitted a YOUSA YBX 5000, 12V, 100AMP, 900A
Customer: replied 10 days ago.
The previous owner told me he had replaced this battery in February this year
Customer: replied 10 days ago.
This battery is completely drained and I had it on charge from yesterday afternoon, but it is still low.
Customer: replied 10 days ago.
I have taken out today the auxiliary battery to have it replaced
Customer: replied 10 days ago.
When Input the key in, it doesn’t do anything, no lights, nothing
Customer: replied 10 days ago.
the questions are:
Customer: replied 10 days ago.
Is the battery fitted the correct one?
Customer: replied 10 days ago.
Is this car fitted with a start/stop system?
Customer: replied 10 days ago.
Any idea why the battery fitted in feb doesn’t charge?
Customer: replied 10 days ago.
if you can please advise on what else to check?
Customer: replied 10 days ago.
Car hasn’t been moved since February
Expert:  Robert replied 10 days ago.
Ok. Ive checked the data card on this car and its doesnt appear to list "eco stop/start" you obviously know if it had if you look at the centre console and if you see a button with the letter A and arrowed circle then that will be the eco button.sometimes they had them next to the stop/start ignition button.. 

The car is fitted with and auxiliary support battery "Mercedes part  - A 211 541 00 01" located at the drivers side engine bay top corner near the windscreen under a black cover this power essential systems for the rest of the car.. the battery you state on it should be more than ample for that size of engine car. if the battery is continually going flat.then you must have parasitic drain on the battery in which case you have to seek an auto electrician who can perform tests on the vehicle circuits to see where the voltage drain is and causing the battery to go flat. Likely the reason why the previous owner changed the battery to hide the fact..Any further questions?

Customer: replied 10 days ago.
I know the owner for many years and the car hasn't been driven more than twice a year. is has 25k miles on the clock and it is for good. the owner has a disability and the car had fitted an electrical arm to load a scutter.
Customer: replied 10 days ago.
This is the bit it had fitted
Customer: replied 10 days ago.
should I replace the YOUSA batery or try to charge it?
Customer: replied 10 days ago.
thanks
Expert:  Robert replied 10 days ago.

Better to get the battery tested first. there are battery testers than can test the health of the battery before you go to the expense of buying another one. I would advise charge the battery up so you can get the car started and then find a decent garage who can perform a health test on the battery so that way you'll know either way if the battery on the car is need of replacement.

Customer: replied 10 days ago.
The battery has been on charge since yesterday afternoon and it shows no Voltage. The health check on the battery show it need recharging
Expert:  Robert replied 10 days ago.

Ok.if its not taking a charge after all that time and you have ensured the charger your using is connected correctly. then the battery is faulty.

Customer: replied 10 days ago.
This is it
Expert:  Robert replied 10 days ago.

Ok. If you still know the owner have you asked if he still has the invoice for it. most batteries are suppled with a manufacturers warranty if they become faulty. worth looking into.although you will have to return it to the place it was bought so they can test it

Customer: replied 10 days ago.
Ok
Customer: replied 10 days ago.
Expert:  Robert replied 10 days ago.

Any other questions?

Customer: replied 10 days ago.
That would be all for now. Thanks
Expert:  Robert replied 10 days ago.

No problem Sabin. If you need to follow up with this or need any further help then don't hesitate to ask. enjoy the rest of your weekend and hope you get it sorted out and thanks again for visiting Justanswer