Billy
Billy, Trainer/ Master Technician
Experience:  Trainer 18+ years - master tech. 20+ years, SAE member
30385560

I have a 2014 Skoda Octavia Est. I have a 2014 Octavia est.

Customer Question

HI, I have a 2014 Skoda Octavia Est.
JA: What is the make/model of your car?
Customer: Hi, I have a 2014 Octavia est. Today I started the engine and the following error message was displayed: 'Error: instrument cluster. Workshop!" Where the trip mileage would be displayed it now shows "Error". What are my options?
JA: Are you fixing your vehicle yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: I haven't done anything to it yet, also i'm not very mechanically minded
JA: Is there anything else the Mechanic should know before I connect you? Rest assured that they'll be able to help you.
Customer: Not that I know
Category: Car
Customer: replied 12 days ago.
See attached photo
Expert:  Billy replied 12 days ago.

Hello and welcome! I'm Billy and I will assist you with your inquiry. I understand that having car problems can be frustrating so please feel free to ask if any further info is needed. If you get prompted for a premium service or a phone call, please ignore that, cause I don't think it is needed at this point. My apologies for the delay, thank you for your patience. May I know your first name?

Customer: replied 12 days ago.
Jon
Expert:  Billy replied 12 days ago.

Hello Jon,

This problem is usually caused by the loss of the basic setting from the instrument cluster memory. It can happen at random, or after resetting the oil service indicator. The basic setting can be carried out using diagnostic equipment. However, first, you can try disconnecting the negative battery cable for a few minutes, and check again, as this might reset the cluster.

Customer: replied 12 days ago.
Thank you, I'll try that.
Expert:  Billy replied 12 days ago.

You're very welcome. Cheers.

Customer: replied 12 days ago.
Hi, i have disconnected the negative for a few minutes. now I've reconnected, i have the following warning messages.
Customer: replied 12 days ago.
tyre pressure loss indicatorstabilisation control (ESC)along with the same instrument cluster error
Customer: replied 12 days ago.
as attached
Expert:  Billy replied 12 days ago.

Sorry for the delay.

This is most likely a communication issue. A loss of communication problem with the instrument cluster. The first thing to do would be connecting a diagnostic machine, in order to get the faults in the systems, and then try to reset. If the problems persist, then we can know what to check, according to the stored faults. The instrument cluster is a common failure on this model, and there are companies that repair those, here's an example https://www.actronics.co.uk/instrument-clusters/skoda-octavia-2013-2020

However, we need to confirm the faults first.

Customer: replied 12 days ago.
off to my local garage to get the diagnosis checked out
Expert:  Billy replied 12 days ago.
Let me know how it goes, and we can proceed accordingly.
Customer: replied 12 days ago.
will do. ta
Expert:  Billy replied 12 days ago.

Perfect.