IanjC211
IanjC211, Technician
Experience:  Expert
111627093

Car doesn’t turn over, makes whirling noise. But does start

Car doesn’t turn over, makes whirling noise. But does start if key is turned while in gear, and clutch pressed straight away. (Almost bump starting it)
JA: Has the clutch been slipping? Are you having any trouble shifting?
Customer: no, I’m leaning towards starter motor issue, but it’s a bit strange
JA: What is the make/model/year of your car?
Customer: mondeo diesel 2004. 2ltr manual
JA: Are you fixing your Mondeo yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: Possibly if I can pin point exact problem. Don’t wanna get involved if it’s possibly one of 3-4 issues.
JA: Is there anything else the Mechanic should know before I connect you? Rest assured that they'll be able to help you.
Customer: not really

Hello and welcome to just answer my name is ***** ***** am I assisting please Sorry to hear you are having trouble with your vehicle but I am here to help. The system will automatically offer a phone call but I'm unable to take calls at this time. One moment while I review the information. Regards Ian

It sounds like the Bendix spring is worn on the starter motor, I would first remove the starter motor and check the tension on the Bendix spring, or once removed take it to an auto electrical specialist and let them bench test it.

But I would bet it is a faulty starter motor Bendix spring.