Phillip H
Phillip H, Auto Mechanic
Experience:  Vehicle Technician at Richmond Motor Services
108937146

I have a VW golf sv 2016 tdi, it's a mk7 vw sportsvan 1.6

JA: Hi. How can I help?
Customer: I have a VW golf sv 2016 tdi
JA: What is the model of your '16 VW?
Customer: it's a mk7 vw sportsvan 1.6 tdi - it has the engine light on and the glowplug light flashes also it drives ok but is in limp mode. I took it to the garage and the mechanic diagnosed it with p0087 code low rail pressure and changed the fuel filter. This was ok but didn't solve the problem said it may be a fuel pump problem. So I replaced the fuel pump (fuel sender unit in the tank) with a new one. This didn't solve the problem either. The code I get is P0087 low fuel pressure in the rail - the reading is 24000 kPa. cann you suggest anything?
JA: Is the fuel filter an external one, or is it inside the tank?
Customer: fuel filter is external
JA: Are you fixing your vehicle yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: Tried to. what's been done so far is fuel filter replaced (at garage) and in tank fuel pump (in tank) replaced by myself
JA: Is there anything else the Mechanic should know before I connect you? Rest assured that they'll be able to help you.
Customer: not that I can think of
Hiya

If you have Low Fuel Pressure at the Rail then you either have an issue in the supply of fuel to the Rail via the High Pressure Pump or you have Injectors that are leaking past and not holding pressure at the rail.

You have stated that you have replaced the filter.  I would suggest you need to carry out a Fuel Pressure Test.  I would initially test the Output from the High Pressure Pump.  If that is ok then this eliminates the Fuel Supply to the Pump and also the Fuel Supply to the Rail.  This would point to Injectors leaking past so the next stage would be to do an Injector Leak Test.  This will establish if the Injectors are leaking past.

If this all test out ok it could be that the Rail Pressure Sensor is faulty and so the wiring to this should be checked and the Sensor replaced as necessary.

Phillip

Customer: replied 4 days ago.
Thanks Philip that gives me a direction to go in
Cheers
Eric
Hiya

No problem.

Phillip