sebastian manrique
sebastian manrique, Auto Mechanic
Experience:  Director Ejecutivo at Multiservicios Cruz de las Mercedes
100564933

I have a 2014 BMW Z4 35i. She has since new showed oil temp

Hi there. I have a 2014 BMW Z4 35i. She has since new showed oil temp at 90 degrees. 2022 rodent damage to engine bay wiring caused coolant fan to cease working. Display on Satnav screen advise stop and allow engine to cool. Wiring repaired by BMW Dealer. 2 weeks later during air temperature of 25 degrees having travelled 30 miles oil temp gauge rose to at 123 degrees and needle flickering/jumping. Stopped 3 hours at destination to allow to cool. Return journey at air temp of 27 degrees temp gauge climbed to 120 degrees. Dealer replaced oil temp gauge sensor. No difference in temp display. Is car safe to drive, is water pump coolant perhaps faulty or should system be flushed out?
JA: Have you checked the connectors on the sensor itself? It's important that they not be loose or corroded.
Customer: Only my BMW garage can do that, should I refer to them?
JA: Are you fixing your Z4 yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: I keep an eye/check the water coolant level, its OK. I interrogated computer on the dash screen and oil level ok. Other than that I rely on BMW dealer.
JA: Is there anything else the Mechanic should know before I connect you? Rest assured that they'll be able to help you.
Customer: Thats about it, my Z4 35i has only done 25,000 miles since new in 2014, I have a 2nd vehicle for daily use.

Dear customer my name is***** the expert who will attend you today, I am reviewing your query at the moment you are viewing this message, if you wish you can tell me your name, to know who I have the pleasure to talk to, also if possible I would like you to send me a photo or video in which your fault is better appreciated, it would help a lot to improve my final answer. If you have done a previous check or diagnosis in which you have obtained any error codes, that would also be helpful. Please note that the system will automatically offer you a service call, this has an additional cost to the initial cost of the consultation, and not in all cases it is necessary, so I recommend you to dispense with the call for now, we can continue through this chat without any problem. Thank you very much for trusting in the just answer.

Customer: replied 7 days ago.
OK. Only error code (of fan electrical failure) was known to the dealer. Can't provide photo as no visible problem in engine bay. Thanks, Frank

Dear customer, what codes are you getting from the diagnostics?

Dear customer, with a problem like the one you present, I would carry out a purge of the system, to make sure that there is no air trapped in the cooling system ducts, although there could be a fault in the wiring of the sensors, the possibility that the coolant is contaminated or has air bubbles is likely and very common in cases like the one you have told me, I would start my checks for this and ultimately change the thermostat.

Dear customer, it is my pleasure to serve you. You may wish to mark me as a favourite expert for future reference. I hope I was able to answer your question. If you would like to ask me another question in the future, you can add me as a Favourite Expert. You will have the option to do so on your "My Questions" page or you can request me by name on the site if you wish. My name is @Exp-JoseSebas Thank you for trusting Justanswer.

Customer: replied 7 days ago.
Thanks, I'm sure your suggestions are right way forward. Thanks again for your input.

At your service.