How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Dr .Saeed ahmed Your Own Question
Dr .Saeed ahmed
Dr .Saeed ahmed, Doctor
Category: Cardiology
Satisfied Customers: 4473
Experience:  MBBS/FCPS(R)/MRCP U.K(R), Senior Registrar Cardiology
Type Your Cardiology Question Here...
Dr .Saeed ahmed is online now

Over the last three weeks when I have an alcoholic drink,

This answer was rated:

Over the last three weeks when I have an alcoholic drink, within a couple of hours my heart starts beating faster. I also get flushing, hearth beat goes upto 150 bpm and can be felt in my face. Otherwise I am a fit and healthy 37 year old. This lasts for a couple of hours. Never happened before , started all of a sudden. Had ECG which was fine. Are these fast heartbeats dangerous and can I get a cure? I also feel breathless when my heart is beating and my eyes and face seem red. When it returns to normal I feel fine.  My resting bpm is 60, and when I exercise it is not much over 100.

My blood pressure is 140 over 90.

I normally drink one or two beers per night and a few more on the weekend and have never had a problem.

Is it safe for me to still drink a little alcohol, and what is causing the rapid heartbeat?

Thank you for your question, this seems like a reaction to alcohol, which can be to some specific form of alcohol which you are taking. So changing the type may help.
If changing the type or brand does not help then it is possible that you are having a reaction of alcohol itself and this is an indication to stop the alcohol altogether.
These symptoms indicate an anaphylactic reaction which is of mild form. It can worsen if you continue to take same brand.
Let me know if you have questions, thank you. Do rate my reply as positive if no further questions.
Dr .Saeed ahmed and other Cardiology Specialists are ready to help you