How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Dr. Phil, MD Your Own Question
Dr. Phil, MD
Dr. Phil, MD, Medical Doctor
Category: Cardiology
Satisfied Customers: 58388
Experience:  Cardiology Expert
Type Your Cardiology Question Here...
Dr. Phil, MD is online now

Dear Doctor, I contracted infective endocarditis 18 years

This answer was rated:

Dear Doctor,
I contracted infective endocarditis 18 years ago, I had my aortic valve replaced with a metal one, However, They could'nt stop the infection and ten weeks after the first operation I had to undergo the whole thing again at Harefield Hospital, where the metal valve was replaced with a tissue valve.
Two years ago the valve started to leak, The doctors at the Royal Free Hospital did'nt seem too concerned. ( I have to add here in 2006 I suffered a brain stem stroke ) However I made a very good recovery and I walk and work out ( I was a marathon runner ) the cardiologist where happy for me to attend the local gym etc.
I moved to somerset where the attitude of the doctors was entirely different telling they would not even consider further surgery, even though they did'nt have my records from the Free.
I am now back with the Royal Free and on the 13th I have an appointment with the cardiologist, If further surgery is not an option would it be possible for a TAVI to be considered or any other treatment.
Two years ago they found I had asbestos in lungs the experts at the free did all relevant testing told me not worry and discharged me.
I am obviously worried, But, I dont want to attend cardiology on the 13th not appearing to understand the gravity of situation ( I do ) I did'nt want to type you a novel just to give you the facts,
I would be very grateful for any advice you can give me on this matter, Thank you for being there, I had no Idea I could ask anyone, Thanks Patrick.

Thanks for this question Patrick

If you are healthy then absolutely something needs to be done if this valve fails.

A TAVR is a very good option.

This is likely what would be done in most cases.

let me know if you have other questions.

if done for now, please leave a positive rating above the chat box so I can get credit for helping you today

we only get credit for helping clients after positive feedback

you can always reach me with "a question for Dr. Phil" in the medicine, cardiology or pharmacy categories if you have any other questions

here is my website if you need to reach me again:

Thanks for using

Dr. Phil, MD and other Cardiology Specialists are ready to help you