the-good-doctor
the-good-doctor, Medical Doctor
Experience:  Medical Doctor and Cardiology Expert
55099014

I am 70 years old and have suffered from SVT for 9+ years. I

I am 70 years old and have suffered from SVT for 9+ years. I am awaiting an ablation. After nadolol was discontinued I tried atenolol but started to have symptoms of chest discomfort/ shortness of breath on exertion. I was changed to bisoprolol 1.25mg ( larger doses cause bradycardia). Now I have same problem again. If I have been sitting down and then climb stairs or any activity then I get a sore feeling in my chest which spreads to my neck and I feel a bit breathless. This lasts a few minutes during which I stand still. This doesn't happen when I am busy during the day only after sitting.
Is this likely to be a side-effect of bisoprolol or is this angina and is it safe to have an ablation if this is still happening?

Hello. I'm Dr. Phil, licensed and practicing internist. Excellent service is my goal.

What is your heart rate when this happens?

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
about 70.Today I have just been for a walk and rushed up the stairs - all fine. Yesterday however after I had been sitting watching TV I went out to water the garden and the chest discomfort started. It always occurs after I have been sitting.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I should add that recent ECG and echo have been fine and I do not experience the discomfort/ breathlessness every day.

when was your last holter?

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
About 3months ago. Showed ectopics and a very small run of SVT but nothing too worrying

Ok that is good

This is probably what is happening.

Your symptoms could be bisoprolol but I doubt it

more likely the SVT

is this helpful?

However, I am also worried this could be angina

when was your last stress test?

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
It isn't SVT because I am always very aware of this. I have not had a stress test. Is it safe to have an ablation if it is angina?

No it is not safe

You would need a stress test now

Is this helpful?

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
thank you.

welcome :)

let me know how it goes

let me know if you have other questions.

if done for now, please leave a 5 star rating above the chat box so I can get credit for helping you today

we only get credit for helping clients after positive feedback

you can always reach me with "a question for Dr. Phil" in the medicine, cardiology or pharmacy categories if you have any other questions

here is my website if you need to reach me again:

http://www.justanswer.com/medical/expert-irondoc/

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Why is it not safe to have an ablation? It's scheduled for next week, so I will have to cancel
Because the ablation could trigger a heart attack!