Dr. Phil, MD
Dr. Phil, MD, Medical Doctor
Experience:  Cardiology Expert
55099014

My father underwent 4 CABG and valve repair 8 weeks ago. His

My father underwent 4 CABG and valve repair 8 weeks ago. His pre op scans showed no signs of scaring in the heart and his ejection fraction was 45%. There were some post op issues with pleural effusion - that was drained 1 week after surgery. He is still very breathless and recent scans show some thickening around the lung and ejection fraction is currently 26%. Will this improve or has his surgery presented more long term issues?

Hello. I'm Dr. Phil, licensed and practicing internist. Excellent service is my goal.

Yes, this will improve

The heart is always stunned after CABG

It will take about 6 months

is this helpful?

let me know if you have other questions.

if done for now, please leave a 5 star rating above the chat box so I can get credit for helping you today

we only get credit for helping clients after positive feedback

you can always reach me with "a question for Dr. Phil" in the medicine, cardiology or pharmacy categories if you have any other questions

here is my website if you need to reach me again:

http://www.justanswer.com/medical/expert-irondoc/

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Will the thickness on the lungs recover with increased exercise / mobility? All the research I can find on thickness around lungs is caused by disease and not pleural effusion so I am unsure if this is curable?

Yes, it will

If it wasn't there before surgery, it is reversible

Customer: replied 11 months ago.