wieyedoc
wieyedoc, Board Certified MD
Experience:  Over two decades of clinical practice. Completed a medical internship in New York City
48069651

I have tricuspid regurgitation. I would like this condition

Customer Question

I have tricuspid regurgitation. I would like this condition treated under private medicine. What do I do
Category: Cardiology
Expert:  wieyedoc replied 4 months ago.

Hi. My name is***** have over two decades of experience, and I'm online and available to help you today.

We can also chat by hone and skype.

Expert:  wieyedoc replied 4 months ago.

Is your leakage so significant that you would require surgery to replace the valve?

Do you have any secondary systemic problems from the tricuspid valve malfunction?

How long has it been leaking?

Will the NHS do the treatment you need?

Do you have any other medical problems or take any medications?

This is not an answer, but an Information Request. I need this information to answer your question. Please reply, so I can answer your question. I look forward to helping you.

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
I have a metal aortic valve put in place 2 years ago. At that time they said my tricuspid valve was leaking 'a bit' and they were not worried about it. Depending who I see, they now refer to the tricuspid leakage as moderate to severe.
In 2016 I was told it would be too dangerous to operate.
After a stay in hospital in December 2017, a doctor said they may be able to 'band' the valve and he would talk it over with his colleagues. We are no further on with that.
My medications:
Digoxin
Warfarin
Bumetanide (to try and reduce the serious fluid retention in my legs)
Amiloride
Tamsulosin
Ferrous Fumarate
Eplerenone
Trazodone & Clonazepam as sleeping aids
Expert:  wieyedoc replied 4 months ago.

Thank you for that additional information.

Are you interested in obtaining a second opinion about possible surgical correction of the valve problem? I'm not really clear on what you are trying to accomplish here...

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
I've just noticed that I put my metal aortic valve was put in place 2 years ago. That operation was in fact done 6 years ago. I'm trying to obtain as much information as I can on the feasibility of surgery on a leaking tricuspid valve. Have there been advances in this field with minimally invasive surgery or a mitraclip I have read about lately. Although my local hospital initially said an operation on my tricuspid valve would be too dangerous, I am trying to seek out top cardiologists/surgeons for a second opinion. Thank you.
Expert:  wieyedoc replied 4 months ago.

It is impossible to give you any sort of statistical data on your individual risks of having triscuspid valve repair done without a complete review of your medical records, a complete physical examination and an in-depth evaluation of your heart, lungs, major organs and general health.

If the doctors who know you best said that your personal risk of a poor outcome (death or worse....) is high from tricuspid surgery then they are probably correct.

Now. If you want to refute this opinion then the best thing would be to gather up all your medical records and personally travel to a University Teaching Center where the Professors of cardiology and Cardiothoracic Surgery can give you (and your records) a through going over. Once they have done all of this then these Professors can let you know what your chances would be of coming out of tricuspid surgery better then when you went into it....

And then you and your family can make an informed decision on how to proceed.

Does this make sense to you?

I realize that this was not the answer you were hoping to hear but it would be unfair to you and unprofessional of me were I provide you with anything less than truthful and honest information.

Surely, you prefer that I tell the truth rather than what you wish to hear. Because it reflects very poorly on me unless you press one of the top three feedback choices, keep this in mind when rating my answer and please do not punish me for being honest. I understand that this may not be easy to hear, and I empathize.

Even though my answer was not quite what you were hoping for, please understand that my priority was to provide you with the most honest information. With that in consideration, I hope that you found my answer useful. Please click the excellent feedback button so that I can receive credit for my efforts.

Dr. Rick MD FACS