wieyedoc
wieyedoc, Board Certified MD
Experience:  Over two decades of clinical practice. Completed a medical internship in New York City
48069651

I live in England am 34 years old and have hereditary

Customer Question

Hi, I live in England am 34 years old and have hereditary dialated cardiomyopathy (EF last checked 3.5 years ago and was 30-35%) I just found out I’m around 5-6 weeks pregnant (happened while on contraceptives) and as pregnancy is too risky for me I’m looking at what the least risky option for me would be to terminate the pregnancy. I have an appointment tomorrow but I don’t think there will be a cardiologist there at the sexual health clinic so I wanted to ask if the medical abortion pill would be contraindicated for me or if surgical with a local anesthetic or sedation would be less risky.About 15 years ago I did fall pregnant (on contraceptives that time as well but may have missed a pill) and I had a vaccum aspiration at 6-7 weeks pregnant and it was so painful I passed out begging them to stop and woke up in the recovery room where the nurse told me they almost had to send me to the hospital because my blood pressure plummeted so low.So because of that I would prefer to have the medical abortion pill but I’m afraid because of my heart condition.Can you please give me any insight regarding this ?Thank you,Amy
Category: Cardiology
Customer: replied 18 days ago.
Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call.
Customer: replied 18 days ago.
Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
Customer: replied 18 days ago.
P.S Sorry I just noticed my lack of grammar, just really nervous at the moment...Hope it makes sense.
Customer: replied 18 days ago.
I will also add that I had a child 3.5 years agoThanks
Expert:  wieyedoc replied 18 days ago.

Hi. My name is***** have over two decades of experience, and I'm online and available to help you today.

We can also chat by hone and skype.

Customer: replied 18 days ago.
Ok hi, can we chat by phone?
Customer: replied 18 days ago.
Ok didn’t realise it was extra nevermind !We can just type :)
Expert:  wieyedoc replied 18 days ago.

Typing works for me :)

Customer: replied 18 days ago.
Ok great, have you read my question ?
Expert:  wieyedoc replied 18 days ago.

Your typing makes perfect sense. No worries.

Amy,

First of all, there is no need to panic or rush into figuring out how to deal with this.

So. What should you do?

1. Relax.

2. Call your GP and your cardiologist tomorrow morning first thing and let them know of your pregnancy.

3. Discuss with them what and where will be the safest and best place for you to undergo termination of the pregnancy.

4. Since you had issues with the vaccum you can have this done by a simple Dilation and curettage (D&C) or maybe even a medical termination (pill).

5. Since you are only 7 weeks along there is plenty of time to schedule the safest method and place available -- even with how slow the NHS can be ;-)

Does this make sense to you?

I am happy to be able to help you today. If you would be so kind, please help me get credit for my efforts in answering your questions and press the excellent feedback button for this encounter. And, don’t forget, I work for tips. I would also be happy to continue to answer any more questions you have until we have resolved your concern.

Dr. Rick MD FACS

I wish you the very best.

Expert:  wieyedoc replied 18 days ago.

To answer your question:

If they feel the abortion pill will work for you I would expect that would be the safest given your cardiac history....but give your cardiologist a call as she know you best.

Customer: replied 18 days ago.
I don’t have a cardiologist where I am thats why I’m on here asking you. The cardiologists would likely only go by my last echo scan to determine the risk of each abortion option. They don’t really know ‘me’ any more than what my scan says.I didn’t really get any answer I was looking for I’m afraid. I’m still in the same boat and apparently need to ask another cardiologist who would be completely new to me in my area as well...
Customer: replied 18 days ago.
there is a need to rush as you can’t get a medical abortion after 8 weeks without increasing risk especially if you have an underlying condition
Customer: replied 18 days ago.
I’m afraid you weren’t able to answer the question
Customer: replied 18 days ago.
actually provided improper and poor advise saying that 7 weeks is “plenty of time” for a medical abortion... even with the slow NHS ?No ... it’s not...
Customer: replied 18 days ago.
Also for a D+C you need a general anesthetic which for me I’m guessing will be the last thing they would suggest