Dr. Arun Phophalia
Dr. Arun Phophalia, Doctor
Experience:  MBBS MS. Post doctoral fellowship in Sports Medicine. General surgeon and sports medicine specialist
5625079

My 15 year-old daughter has sudden, unpredictable bouts of

Customer Question

My 15 year-old daughter has sudden, unpredictable bouts of pain in her heart muscle, that last for 5-8 minutes. She is otherwise very fit, healthy, sports-minded. We are waiting and waiting to see someone on the NHS, without even having had an electrocardiogram. How serious might this be, and do we need to 'shake the tree'?
JA: Do you know if your family has a history of heart disease? In general, how would you describe your health lately?
Customer: It's very good. No history.
JA: Anything else in your medical history you think the doctor should know?
Customer: No, her mother and I are very fit too.
Category: Cardiology
Expert:  Dr. Arun Phophalia replied 7 days ago.

I am writing the answer for you and will get back to you in 5 minutes. If you get a phone call request, you may ignore it as that is an automated site trigger. Thank you.

Her symptoms are most likely due to;

1) Esophagitis/esophageal spasm.

2) Chest wall/chest muscle pain.

This is unlikely to be related to the heart.

Heart pain do not come off and on and in her age group, heart-related pain is extremely rare.

Was this information helpful to you?

Please feel free for your follow up questions.

I would be happy to assist you further if you need any more information.

Thanks for using Just Answer.

Customer: replied 7 days ago.
This sounds entirely likely. Thank you for the advice.

You are very welcome.

Wishing her a speedy resolution and all the very best in life.

" I sincerely hope that I have helped you and that I have earned my 5-star rating today! Please remember to rate my service by selecting the 5 stars at the top of the screen ( rating me now does not close your question). We can continue here until you are satisfied, simply use the reply box and let me know. Thank you!”.

Stay blessed.