Dr. David
Dr. David, Board Certified MD
Experience:  Board Certified Physician
41363181

I am due to have a tooth extraction and have had a aortic

Customer Question

I am due to have a tooth extraction and have had a aortic valve replacement. My cardiologist still likes us to have antibiotics before the procedure. For the last 3 months I have been trying to get these antibiotics but the dentist says its not her responsibility and the cardiologist says it is. I am stuck in the middle with a molar that needs removing due to ongoing absesses. What do you think I should do.?
JA: Have you noticed any swelling in the gums? When was your last visit to the dentist?
Customer: My last visit was in october when the dentist told me I needed the tooth out. I get swelling when the absess occurs which has happened twice
JA: Anything else in your medical history you think the Doctor should know?
Customer: No I dont think so
Category: Cardiology
Expert:  Dr. David replied 13 days ago.

This is Dr. David. I am reviewing your question now and will be with you momentarily.

Expert:  Dr. David replied 13 days ago.

if your cardiologist thinks you should have antibiotics prior to dental extractions, then your cardiologist should prescribe them.

Customer: replied 13 days ago.
He is refusing as he says all other dentists he has contact with do the prescribing. I am stuck in the middle
Expert:  Dr. David replied 13 days ago.

that is unfortunate.

you may have to see another dentist or see another cardiologist so you can move your care forward.