Elliot Ruff
Elliot Ruff,
Experience:  GP at Whitstable Medical Practice
108371854

Have had AF for 5 years had 8 cardioversons, 2 radio

have had AF for 5 years had 8 cardioversons, 2 radio frequency ablations,
first lasted 2 months second lasted 12 montths ,last cardioversion was 2 weeks ago lasted one week, my consultant keeps saying try this try that and last thing will be pacemaker, why cant i just get on and have it fitted i have not been able to do anything for 5 months because i was in continual flutter, i need to get my life back
JA: Can you tell me about all the symptoms you've experienced (e.g. shortness of breath, heart palpitations, minor physical effort making you feel tired)?
Customer: have not been able to do simple things like get dressed, have to lie down when to bad or sit down most of day as soon as i do any walking i am breathless giddy
JA: Thank you so much for your time. Finally, is there anything else in your medical history you think the Doctor should know?
Customer: i am on blood thiners and waiting for consult on hip replacement

Good afternoon, I am Dr Ruff. Thank you for contacting us today.

I am sorry to hear you have had to go through so many cardioversions and ablations. Are you also on medication?

Customer: replied 11 days ago.
canderstarten, bisoprolol,atoravastatin,edoxaban
Customer: replied 11 days ago.
rather on here please

Okay thank you. So the issue with Atrial Fibrillation is both the rate and the rhythm of your heart. Once you have had Atrial Fibrillation for some time, unfortunately the medication options to control the rate are no longer an option. What you have been through is then the next sensible options, but indeed that is a lot of Cardioversions. It is a shame that you have such limited benefit from it.

A pacemaker can be used, however this is also not a definitive treatment. A pace maker can only be successful as long as the rate of your Atrial Fibrillation is not high. This is because the pacemaker needs to be set at a rate to trigger a contraction before the Atria start the process. Therefore assuming your rate is low, the pacemaker can work, but if the rate increases, then a pacemaker would have no benefit on the fibrillation you are experiencing. However this is where the Bisoprolol can be utilised to prevent this.

I think given what you have been through it would certainly be reasonable to consider this now.

How soon is your follow up with your Cardiologist?

Customer: replied 11 days ago.
have phone call 2nd october

Okay thanks. So just ask them about this when you speak with them. They will certainly explain if they think it would or wouldn't be appropriate for you. But do ask otherwise.

Please see the link below, this is a professional article, however it may be of use to be updated with the management options prior to your discussion with your Cardiologist.

Customer: replied 11 days ago.
thank you

That is my pleasure, I really hope you get this resolved at some point.