Dr. Arun Phophalia
Dr. Arun Phophalia, Doctor
Experience:  MBBS MS. Post doctoral fellowship in Sports Medicine. General surgeon and sports medicine specialist
5625079

Ive just been for my pre op at Oswestry for an operation

Customer Question

Hi, Ive just been for my pre op at Oswestry for an operation next Saturday 24th October. The anaesthetist has said I cannot have the op until I have seen a cardiologist as the ECG was a bit random, and he would feel better If I saw one. I would have to see one before next Wednesday to allow the op to go ahead if I was ok. What do you suggest? Thank you.
JA: Can you tell me about all the symptoms you've experienced (e.g. shortness of breath, heart palpitations, minor physical effort making you feel tired)?
Customer: No symptoms and feel fine. The last time I had an operation they discovered I had like a double heart beat, one behind the other, or something like that.
JA: Thank you so much for your time. Finally, is there anything else in your medical history you think the Doctor should know?
Customer: No, always been healthy electrically (?), just had problems Mechanically (?) orthopaedically.
Category: Cardiology
Expert:  Dr. Arun Phophalia replied 8 days ago.

There is no harm in getting an opinion from a cardiologist and get the clearance. But in all likelihood, you would get the clearance. The cardiologist may do Holter monitoring and echocardiography.

This is likely to be premature ventricular contractions (PVCs).

If the missed beats/pulse is less than 6 per minute with no symptoms; they are considered as benign. The approach to PVCs depends on the frequency of PVCs, attributable symptoms, the presence or absence of underlying structural heart disease, and the estimated risk of sudden cardiac problems. Asymptomatic PVCs require no therapy. For symptomatic PVCs, recommended treatment is;

1) reassurance,

2) avoidance of aggravating factors (stress, caffeine),

3) anxiolytic drugs

4) Beta-blockers and calcium channel blockers.

PVCs are one of the most common arrhythmias and can occur in people with or without heart disease. The prevalence of PVCs varies greatly, with estimates of less than 5% to more than 50% in asymptomatic individuals. PVCs in healthy patients without underlying structural heart disease are usually not associated with any increased rate of complications. In the absence of heart disease, isolated, asymptomatic ventricular ectopy, regardless of configuration or frequency, requires no worry or treatment. PVCs are more significant if the following are true:

a) There are runs of PVCs with symptoms.

b) They are associated with underlying heart disease.

c) They are precipitated by or become more frequent with activity.

d) There is a history of syncope or a family history of sudden death.

Up to 50% to 70% of normal children may show PVCs on 24-hour ambulatory ECGs. This can persist in about 5% of adults. It is not concerning, if not associated with any heart disease.

Please feel free for your follow up questions.

I would be happy to assist you further if you need any more information.

Thanks for using Just Answer.

Customer: replied 8 days ago.
Thanks for your reply, what I need now is to find a cardiologist, closest to LD8 2NH, Presteigne, Powys, Mid Wales, who I can see before next Wednesday 21st. Have you got any ideas please? Thanks again.
Expert:  Dr. Arun Phophalia replied 7 days ago.

You are very welcome.

I am sorry, but I do not have a reference for a cardiologist in your area.

I wish you a speedy resolution and all the very best in life.