Elliot Ruff
Elliot Ruff,
Experience:  GP at Whitstable Medical Practice
108371854

I’m 22 I have been diagnosed with pulmonary embolism in May.

Customer Question

I’m 22 I have been diagnosed with pulmonary embolism in May. They have tested me for blood clotting disorders, aps, lupus, factor 5 and I have not got any. I was on depo provera birth control and I believe that’s what caused the pulmonary embolism. Haematologist wants me to stay on for life on apixaban but I don’t want to I bruise and bleed a lot. What would you suggest knowing it was most likely provoked ?
Category: Cardiology
Expert:  Elliot Ruff replied 14 days ago.
Good evening, I am Dr Ruff, thank you for contacting us today.I am sorry to hear you have had a PE. I can completely understand your logic however I believe the Depo is Progesterone only. This has not been considered enough of a risk and progesterones only have been used in those with increase risk of thrombosis.There is some evidence to suggest it can increase your risk but it is not significant and therefore on this basis I would be reluctant to rely on this as the provoking factor.Given the uncertainty I would use the Apixaban. If you are wrong a subsequent thrombosis could be more significant.Sorry that this doesn’t support stopping it.
Customer: replied 14 days ago.
that’s very true thank you but I’m so young I’m 22 I bleed and bruise like crazy. If I don’t have a clotting disorder then that was the only thing that caused it
I can understand your frustration. You would be in your right to ask for a second haematologists opinion. They wouldn’t mind
Customer: replied 14 days ago.
He is not helpful at all. I asked the gp they said they can’t refer me to see someone again. So it’s a shame

I see, I would ask your GP again. Taking a medication regular for the rest of your life is quite a big thing, if you are not comfortable with it I think another opinion would be wise. If it was the same outcome, you are more likely to feel comfortable in taking the medication.

Customer: replied 14 days ago.
Thanks I’m so young and I bleed and bruise so bad my life is over

It is indeed a lot to take. I hope all goes well and wish you best of luck with this.