Dr.Sumanth
Dr.Sumanth,
101124971

Which blood clotting disorders can I be tested for while on

Which blood clotting disorders can I be tested for while on apixaban and which off and how long do I need to be off for

Thanks for your query, Apixaban works on a different pathway to other medications like warfarin for instance,

so for instance, you can have clotting factors done like INR, prothrombin, platelets etc and this wont be affected

Customer: replied 11 days ago.
Can I csll u
Customer: replied 11 days ago.
Do you know anything about pulmonary embolism

Yes, I do but you better off chatting here as you'll pay £34 for a call

Customer: replied 11 days ago.
I had one and this is the tests they did but they want me to stay on for life but I don’t want to because I know what provoked it
Customer: replied 11 days ago.
Ohh ok thanks
Customer: replied 11 days ago.
How long is the call for ?

Yes , you had a blood clot in the lungs, if they dont know the cause, then its usually for life

You dont need a call to discuss this

Customer: replied 11 days ago.
but depo provera birth control caused it so it’s not unprovoked

Hi...Welcome to Just Answer. I am Dr. Sumanth Amperayani and I am here to help you today. I have 15 years of experience in the field of Medicine at a tertiary care referral hospital. I will do my level best to alleviate your health concern. I am currently reviewing your question. I will be back in a moment to guide you further.

Kind regards ***** ***** Sumanth Amperayani

Customer: replied 11 days ago.
Ok

I understand your concern.

As we have an etiological agent here - the management might not be life long.

But you should remember that drugs like Apixaban do not dissolve the blood clots - but only prevent further progression.

Blood clots in the lungs are treated with medicines that keep clots from getting bigger. These medicines are called "anticoagulants" or "blood thinners," although they do not actually thin the blood. Some come in shots and others come in pills. Most people being treated for a blood clot in the lung are treated first in the hospital.

You will need to take the medicine for at least 3 months (and sometimes longer). Some people are first put on a medicine that comes as a shot, called heparin. This might be for a few days, or longer if for some reason you can't take pills.

The medicines do not dissolve existing blood clots, but they do keep them from getting bigger. They also help keep new blood clots from forming. Taking the medicine for a few months is important because it gives your body time to dissolve the old clot. It's also important because people who have a clot are at risk of developing another clot, especially in the first few months.

Since the risk of a blood clot is reduced by anticoagulation, women who are taking anticoagulants should be allowed to take birth control pills.

I sincerely ***** ***** I have helped you! Please do let me know if you need any further clarification in this regard and we can continue here until you are satisfied, simply use the reply box and let me know.

A bonus is highly appreciated....Thank you!".

If you are happy with my interaction and guidance, next time if you have any health concern, you can approach me directly at the following link please -

https://www.justanswer.com/medical/expert-drsumanth/?rpt=3800

Customer: replied 11 days ago.
Thanks I had pulmonary embolism in May. I was on depo provera took my last shot February and that’s when issues started. I was on it 9 months . They tested me for blood clotting disorders while on apixaban and said I don’t have any but they said I have to take blood thinners for life but I don’t want to

I know - you can discuss my above recommendations with your physicians there and plan accordingly.

If you are not prone to clots (technically called Thrombophilia) - not need to be on life long anticoagulants.

Customer: replied 11 days ago.
exactly he has no sympathy for me at all he won’t allow me to come of
I am sorry to say that it is not about sympathy it is about being extra cautious.
Customer: replied 11 days ago.
That’s true but if I don’t want to take it can I just stop ? Being on blood thinners is very risky too
Customer: replied 11 days ago.
I could get a brain bleed and die
Currently you should not stop them abruptly and as I have told you, you need to use them minimum for 3 months and then go for further testing and if everything is normal then you should stop them under medical supervision and not by yourself.
Please consult a hematologist regarding this.
There is no risk of brain bleed in this regard.
Apixaban is safe drug.
Customer: replied 11 days ago.
I have been taking apixaban for 6 months now and I bleed and bruise like crazy. They tested me for lupus / aps/ factor v /antithrombin and all came clear
Customer: replied 11 days ago.
Only thing I was on depo provera which can cause Bloor clots
If everything is clear then gradually taper down and stop it under medical supervision please.
I would agree with stopping but not on your own.
Dr.Sumanth,
Experience: 
Customer: replied 11 days ago.