Srividhya V S
Srividhya V S,
Experience:  Consultant Pediatrician at Dr V S Srividhya
103130152

Please I need to call someone who knows about thrombosis. I

Please I need to call someone who knows about thrombosis. I had pulmonary embolism. I was tested for factor v , antiphospholipid syndrome; protein S deficiency; protein C deficiency; antithrombin deficiency; factor V Leiden deficiency and for the Prothrombin gene variant. There is no evidence that I have those. I was tested on apixaban .... I was on depo provers less than a year and developed pulmonary embolism. Haematologist said I have to stay on blood thinners for life ??

Hello! My name is***** to JustAnswer. I'm reviewing your question now, and will post back with your reply momentarily.

It seems you had an unprovoked embolism

The decision to continue depends on the severity and recurrence of the embolism

Sometime a low dose anti-coagulation can be continued for life

My goal is to provide you with excellent service – if you feel you have received anything less, please reply back as I am happy to address follow-up questions. I will be glad to help you always.

Hello.
Welcome to just answer.I am Dr vazsv here to help you.I completely understand your concern and I would try my best to help you.Please let me know your issues in detail for me to help you better..1. What was the indication for you being tested for all the factors?2. What was the precipitating illness?3. Was the pulmonary embolism following depoprovera therapy ?4. Any family history of clotting disorders?5. Do you have any other contributing factors such as obesity or lipid disorders?
Customer: replied 9 days ago.
They tested me for those because I had pulmonary embolism they tested me while on apixaban. Also I don’t have any other illnes and yes I was on depo less than a year took my last shot and developed blood clots in lungs. I was working at desk job
Thank you for getting back with the prompt response.It does happen very rarely for people to develop blood clots on depo .I would suggest you to continue apaxiban for the present scenario.Anyhow you would require regular monitoring as anticoagulants cannot be continued without monitoring of the blood clotting profile values which include a series of tests.Since you are very young and the thrombotic episode has been precipitated following a drug, the decision on reducing the therapy or changing over to other formulation can be taken only on regular follow up..If you have no other risk factors and your blood checks for all the vital parameters are within normal limits, it's a positive note.Care has to be taken when you plan for a pregnancy...the dose might have to be adjusted or withdrawn based on the blood parameters at that time.
Customer: replied 9 days ago.
They said there is no need to monitor as it’s not warfarin
In that case, you can be evaluated every 3 to 6 months atleast and decided about the tapering of dosage or withdrawal.
Srividhya V S,
Experience: Consultant Pediatrician at Dr V S Srividhya
Customer: replied 9 days ago.
I hope my answer was helpful in allievating your anxiety and clearing your doubts.Wish you all good health and happy life always.Take care.Good night.Kind regards-Dr vazsv.