Dr.Saleem
Dr.Saleem, Doctor
Experience:  MBBS
23101880

I have a strange feeling when i inhale and exhale. As if I

Customer Question

i have a strange feeling when i inhale and exhale. As if I have crumbs in my lungs. I cant fill myself up with air . Seems to be all day and night long. Noticed it about a month ago. its physical not stress related. I dont have any diagnosis. I wondered if it might have something to do with my heart as my heart beats strangely sometimes but has done for years. I get puffed out after a short walk of say 200 meters. I have no wheezing at all. I sometimes get cramp in my legs and then feel faint-once a month or so. I am 58 yrs old and weigh 88 kg so a bit overweight for my 5 ft 4inch frame. Any ideas what it may be? No other illnesses that I am aware of.
Category: Cardiology
Expert:  Dr.Saleem replied 15 days ago.

Hi! I am Dr Saleem. Welcome to JA. I will be answering your query shortly.

Expert:  Dr.Saleem replied 15 days ago.

I'm sorry to hear that.

Do you have any swelling of feet/legs?

Can you lie straight on the bed without getting short of breath?

Are you gaining weight or is it static?

Customer: replied 15 days ago.
no supporting documents as I have not had any tests. I have over a period of years had some pins and needles in my extremities especially my big toe but that seems to be improving this year strangely. I did have arthritic joints in my ankles and knees and hips and hands and lower back but since taking boswelia tablets and multivitamins these pains and stiffnesses seem to have disappeared.
Customer: replied 15 days ago.
i do have swollen feet-with bursitis i think on my ankle joints
had this for about 5 years now
Customer: replied 15 days ago.
I can lie on bed without getting breathless but more comfortable on side
Customer: replied 15 days ago.
I have been gaining weight steadily since my early menopause at age 40 yrs. Before that I was size 12 (UK) and now Im nearly size 20!
Expert:  Dr.Saleem replied 15 days ago.

Do you have any idea about your blood pressure readings?

When was the last time you had a cardiac evaluation/ecg?

Have you ever been evaluated for thyroid disease?

Customer: replied 15 days ago.
I have been trying to do fasts in order to lose weight as i seem to be able to go for a day or two with no food just water and that makes me at least stay steady with my weight or lose a little.
Customer: replied 15 days ago.
i had 97% oxygen on the oximeter and fairly low blood pressure but it fluctuates.
Customer: replied 15 days ago.
i dont know if I have ever had a cardiac eval. Thyroid been tested about 3 times and always comes back negative-i have some symptoms. my brother is hypothyroid.
Customer: replied 15 days ago.
I think i have a lot of hashimoto symptoms from memory so i have ordered a test for that.
Customer: replied 15 days ago.
my lungs dont exactly hurt-no pain just a feeling like there is something inside them stopping me from filling them up with air.
Customer: replied 15 days ago.
feels a bit like after you have had a bad cold and chest infection and you want to cough-but there is no cough there.
Expert:  Dr.Saleem replied 15 days ago.

I would like to rule out heart condition and thyroid disease with your symptoms. Fatigue and reduced exercise capacity can be an early symptom of weak heart muscle. I would like you to see a doctor and request them for an ecg, echo and a Chest X ray at least. You're already getting tested for thyroid and that's the right thing to do. It's important to rule out a treatable physical condition first and not assume that it's stress related.

Customer: replied 15 days ago.
Thank you I will ask my local doctor-Im a bit nervous about going there in case I catch covid from them!
Customer: replied 15 days ago.
Thanks for your advice. Best Wishes, Lucie
Expert:  Dr.Saleem replied 15 days ago.

I can understand your nervousness but it's important to evaluate this.

You're most welcome. I hope you stay well.