Khizra Naz
Khizra Naz, GP
Experience:  GP training at St helens and knowsely trust (Acute Worcestershire Hospital Trust, Ul
108331350

Can I ask a question about cardiology please

Customer Question

Category: Cardiology
Expert:  Khizra Naz replied 15 days ago.

Hello My name is***** will try my best to help you today.

How can I help you today?

Customer: replied 15 days ago.
Hello Dr, I have been experiencing chest tightness and discomfort for the past 5-6 weeks. I have no coughing or wheezing and no breathlessness. My heart rate seems to be fast quite often. I had my blood pressure and pulse checked by nurse 5 weeks ago and was told I could have costochondritis. I am 22 years of age, non smoker, do not drink alcohol frequently and I also go for walks maybe twice a week. Is it likely I’m having heart trouble? I am very concerned as the pain and discomfort is constant

It's really unlikely that you have problems with the heart.

it would be sensible if you get your bloods done for thyroid gland.

But if you have been seen by doctor multiple times, They have said it's costochondritis, it is likely that.

Customer: replied 15 days ago.
I have only been seen once, could it be something other than thyroid and heart issue? There are heart problems in my family but only in late 40’s and early 50’s

You are too young and you have had done investigations as well. you will be fine.

Customer: replied 15 days ago.
Even now as I speak to you my heart is beating quite fast. Can temperatures influence this? I had a hot bath to try and relax but my heart is beating fast since I’ve come out and my chest still feels right
Customer: replied 15 days ago.
Tight*
Customer: replied 15 days ago.
I would be grateful for a reply, as always

Temperature rarely causes these kind of problems.

Customer: replied 15 days ago.
Do you have any advice for costochondritis? Ibuprofen is not working and neither is heat patches

Use Ibuprofen gel on the chest

Customer: replied 15 days ago.
Okay, can I finally ask if costochondritis can be caused by stress/anxiety or is it mostly a result of injury?

It;s the inflammation of cartilated, unlikely to be cause by stress/anxiety. But these can worsen it.

Customer: replied 15 days ago.
Does it go away itself or can you have it for life?
Customer: replied 15 days ago.
Also does tea or coffee or any foods in particular make it worse? These are my final questions, I would appreciate your response, thank you dr

Caffeine, tea can make it worse.

Customer: replied 15 days ago.
Okay, thank you. Is there anything else lifestyle related that can make it worse?

Smoking, bad sleeping patterns.

Customer: replied 15 days ago.
Okay, well I am a non smoker, does costochondritis go away after some time?

Yes, it does resolve .

Customer: replied 15 days ago.
Okay thank you dr for your help

You are welcome.