Shahid Karim
Shahid Karim, Doctor
Experience:  MBChB
111381268

I had a CRT-D fitted in jan and being of small build they

JA: Hi. How can I help?
Customer: I had a CRT-D fitted in jan and being of small build they placed it in between my muscles, the wires are going down (my lert) the side which is making my shoulder very uncomfortable, will this always be the case?
JA: Have you seen a doctor about this yet? What medications are you taking?
Customer: I have spoken to the team at the hospital they said this is normal and should settle down, but it seems to be getting worse, I am back at work now and try not to use my left arm, sitting hear writing its still painful. Im taking 9 pills in the morning and 3 at night, do you want me to send them to you?
JA: What seems to make the symptoms worse or better? In general, how would you describe your health lately?
Customer: Since having the device fitted im not so sluggish, moving my arm makes it worse even washing up
JA: Is there anything else the Doctor should know before I connect you? Rest assured that they'll be able to help you.
Customer: I hade a aortic valve replaced to back in 2019

Hi, thanks for getting in touch. I'm sorry to hear about the symptoms you've had following device implantation. As you may know, a CRT-D is a larger device than a normal pacemaker and so the 'can' or box is bigger than usual. Secondly, given your small build, you've had sub-pectoral placement most likely, i.e. it's under the muscle of your pectoral area/shoulder. This is so that it didn't risk being too close to the skin's surface etc. however that does now mean it will for a while at least, cause disruption of the muscle it's underneath and shoulder. It does take several months to become fibrosed properly into the area, upwards of 6 months but I would fully expect your symptoms to have eased by then. Your only other options would be physiotherapy or the nuclear option which is to have another procedure to move the device to another area but there's no guarantee that'll fix your symptoms and the risk of infection begins to rise so all in all I would ask you to consider that with time it should ease (easy for me to say I know). There's also never any harm in getting the implanting cardiologist to take a look but still, I wouldn't be a proponent of moving the device. I hope that makes sense and you feel better soon. All the very best.

Customer: replied 12 days ago.
Thank you. It does make sense as being in the place it is. I will see how it goes after 6 months, meanwhile I will take pain killers to ease it. Thank you for your help, much appreciated

You're very welcome indeed, glad I could help. If you could leva e a positive review I'd be really grateful. Wishing you the very best :)