Elliot Ruff
Elliot Ruff, GP
Experience:  GP at Whitstable Medical Practice
108371854

I have a question related to blood flow

I have a question related to blood flow
Customer: replied 7 days ago.
I really appreciate your response

Good morning, I am Dr Ruff, thank you for contacting us today

How can I help?

Customer: replied 7 days ago.
Good morning, thanks for responding. I really appreciate it.
I have had redness in my hands and was hoping it wasn't serious.

No problem, could you show me a photo of this please?

Customer: replied 7 days ago.
They are not so red now so the photo won't represent what they have been like, it started about 2 weeks ago but has improved in the past few days. Shall I send a photo anyway?
Customer: replied 7 days ago.
They wouldn't be a good representation of what they've been like this past two weeks.

No worries, this therefore can mean a lot of things, but nothing concerning. Were there any skin changes when you had this like dry skin? or were your hands painful?

Customer: replied 7 days ago.
No they weren't painful .I think I had dryish skin, but no more than usual
Customer: replied 7 days ago.
I think the dry skin was partly related to washing my hands a lot/using gel etc due to covirus protection
Customer: replied 7 days ago.
But they weren't painful. Why would dry skin be relevant?

The most common cause to red hands is inflammation of the skin. Red hands wouldn't be due to problematic blood flow, this would cause pale hands, like what can appear in Raynauds.

If it has settled this is reassuring. I would therefore raise this if it happens again.

Customer: replied 7 days ago.
It's not Erythromelalgia is it?
Customer: replied 7 days ago.
I read that the characteristics are 'intermittent episodes of severe, burning pain associated with red hot extremeties' or 'intense burning pain, severe redness and increased skin temperature' also swelling.
Customer: replied 7 days ago.
But I didn't have severe burning pain
Customer: replied 7 days ago.
There was no pain at all, so I was hoping it would be unlikely to be Erythromelalgia.

No, if they were not painful, I do not think it would be this at all.

Customer: replied 7 days ago.
That's good to hear, as last night a doctor on just answer said that it could be this.

As you say in theory it could be a differential, however without pain this seems unlikely to me.

Customer: replied 7 days ago.
Thank you I really appreciate your thoiughtful responses. It really means a lot to me
I've had it in the past for a few weeks (can't remember exactly how long) but then it improved and I forgot about it. I was just wondering what it might be related to.
Customer: replied 7 days ago.
Could it related to anemia/lack of iron?

That is my pleasure, do let me know if it returns.

A deficiency is more likely if you have a persistent or recurrent issue.

Customer: replied 7 days ago.
Ok, my hands are still a bit red, mainly on the top half, from the knuckles to the ends of the fingers. And when I'm warm, they become more red. I'll see if I can send a photo now as they are ever so slightly redder now.
Customer: replied 7 days ago.
File attached (G64TLVS)
Customer: replied 7 days ago.
File attached (MZQL11S)
Customer: replied 7 days ago.
File attached (5VPPGSQ)
Customer: replied 7 days ago.
The photos are not a good representation of how my hands have been, as they have definitely been redder than that, in the past 2weeks. But they have improved, I just thought it may get be useful to send a photo anyway of them in the improved condition.
Customer: replied 7 days ago.
I would be so grateful for your thoughts on my last few comments.

Sorry for my delay, this doesn't look anything concerning. I would suggest you use a regular emollient, and buy something like Dermal to wash you hands with as a soap substitute.

Customer: replied 7 days ago.
File attached (2P6554G)
Customer: replied 7 days ago.
I took this just now, it's more representative

Thanks, ***** ***** what you mean, I would still do the same.

Customer: replied 7 days ago.
Do you think it's serious from looking at that last photo?

Not at all.

Customer: replied 7 days ago.
What makes you sure?

Because what you are asking is rare, your hands also so no signs of vascular disease.

When you see hundreds of patients per week, you get to know what is worrying and what isn't.

Customer: replied 7 days ago.
Ok thank you so much. What is vascular disease?

That is my pleasure, vascular implies a problem with blood flow.

Customer: replied 7 days ago.
Ok, and another thing I read on internet was 'peripheral neuropathy' but that is redness of Palms and presumably not necessarily the front of the hand? Or 'palmat erythema' but that said 'usually affects base of palm and are around thumb and little finger' but that's quite specific and mine is more generalized, the redness
Customer: replied 7 days ago.
Peripheral neuropathy said 'warmth or burning sensation in your hands' but my hands don't have a burning sensation
Customer: replied 7 days ago.
Sorry, redness of Palms was Palomar erythema'
Customer: replied 7 days ago.
But I think peripheral neuropathy didn't mention redness
Customer: replied 7 days ago.
I'm so Sorry for all these questions. I really appreciate your time in this, so much. I really do

A peripheral neuropathy is a chronic nerve issue, this is not that.

Palmar erythema as it says, only effects the palms.

Customer: replied 7 days ago.
Ok, thank you so much. I really appreciate your patience in answering my questions. It means so much to me. Have a good evening.
Customer: replied 7 days ago.
I really appreciate you in getting back to me both times. I only asked the support team, as I wasn't sure if the connection was lost etc.

Not a problem at all. I had indeed lost my connection for a few hours. Take care.

Customer: replied 7 days ago.
Ok. Take care too

Bye.

Customer: replied 7 days ago.
Good bye
Customer: replied 6 days ago.
Hi Dr Elliott, thank you for your help yesterday. I really appreciated it so much.
I hope you don't mind. It was still regarding the hands.
You said it wasn't anything serious, which I really appreciate, as you were very patient with my questions. I just thought I'd send you another photo, to still check that it isn't anything serious.
As today, it was colder, and my hands were more purple than red. So I hope you don't mind if I send another photo just to check it's still not serious.sorry for the waffle..anna