Elliot Ruff
Elliot Ruff, GP
Experience:  GP at Whitstable Medical Practice
108371854

My uncle died two days ago, I tried doing CPR but I couldn't

My uncle died two days ago, I tried doing CPR but I couldn't save him. I found him lying on top of the stairs on his belly with his head tilted to the side. The amulance man/doctor said he would have been. dead before he hit the ground. Would he have felt any pain? he was walking up the stairs but dropped dead at the top. He was 52.

Good afternoon, I am Dr Ruff, thank you for contacting us today

I am very sorry to hear of what has happened to your uncle and what you had to witness.

What your uncle experienced would completely depend on the problem that killed him, whether a heart attack, a clot, a stroke, they can all cause a long list of symptoms.

Often in the circumstances you are describing, if your uncle hadn't reached out to ask for help from a doctor or ambulance, then I suspect what has happened was quick.

Customer: replied 7 days ago.
He always refused to go to the doctors his whole life. 20 minutes before I found him he said to my aunty that he had a panic attack. Which may have been mistaken for signs of a Heart attack. She left him and 20 minutes later he was collapsed and pure white without breathing or a pulse. I tried doing CPR for 15 minutes but there was no life in him.

I am sorry to hear, it certainly sounds like it was sudden.

Customer: replied 7 days ago.
I do hope so. I tried doing CPR to my other uncle 7 years ago when he died infront of me, I couldn't save him either. The guilt is unbearable. Thank you, Doctor.

I can understand, the success of CPR is very low, certainly if there was something underlying.

I hope that you feel better.