Shahid Karim
Shahid Karim, Doctor
Experience:  MBChB
111381268

I am 83 yrs old. I take 20mg RIVAROXABAN daily. My dentist

I am 83 yrs old. I take 20mg RIVAROXABAN daily. My dentist is extracting 2 of my teeth from central lower jaw at 10.00am on Friday morning . I have received conflicting advice as to when I should stop and start taking the RIVAROXABAN..My regular GP retired last Christmas and I am not familiar with the practices of the other partners and associates! !! My dentist has obviously sought advice but it is different from that given from the GP surgery and appears to me to be more effective!
JA: Have you noticed any swelling in the gums? When was your last visit to the dentist?
Customer: One loose tooth and next tooth to be extracted to give way for a small dental plate. Saw dentist last Friday and extraction procedure is next Friday.
JA: Is there anything else the Doctor should know before I connect you? Rest assured that they'll be able to help you.
Customer: The dentist had advised today that RIVAROXABAN is stopped tomorrow morning and resumed on Saturday morning. A GP from my surgery stated,” If it’s not going to be too bad ,stop taking RIVAROXABAN on Friday morning; if it’s going to be worse, stop taking RIVAROXABAN on Thursday morning!” This message came via a practice nurse, with no further instructions!!

Hi, thanks you for getting in touch. I think your dentist's advice is much more appropriate. It would really need 48 hours to have left the system enough to permit the procedure to occur safely with minimal chances of bleeding and restarting on Saturday is perfectly fair.

Customer: replied 2 days ago.
Thank you,Shahid. Your diagnosis makes sense , providing professional,clear and concise advice.A 5* consultation x
Best Wishes,
Pam Richardson

You're so welcome, all the very best with the upcoming procedure too :)