Elliot Ruff
Elliot Ruff, GP
Experience:  GP at Whitstable Medical Practice
108371854

I have a medical question related to requesting information.

Customer Question

I have a medical question related to requesting information. Is this the right place to ask?
Category: Cardiology
Expert:  Elliot Ruff replied 5 days ago.

Good morning, I am Dr Ruff. What is your question please?

Customer: replied 5 days ago.
The option of cardiology was the closest option. I am keeping my question simple. It is, are you allowed to request to trace back to your blood donors (if you've had a blood transfusion)? Eg. As a simple example if you have a new food allergy since you had the transfusion. Obviously there are other more serious potential risks though hopefully rare. This is UK related.

Thanks. Unfortunately you wouldn’t be able to for an allergy. If there was a infection thought to be secondary to a transfusion then it may be possible. But given it is screened for this first now, then the process is anonymised.

Does this answer your question?

Customer: replied 5 days ago.
Thankyou. Just to check on the allergy front. This did happen to me. I read on the internet though that any new allergies happen and then go away within a short period of time after the blood transfusion. This wasn't the case for me, I got a new food allergy (swollen neck and mouth) some time later on. What is the general opinion on how long after a blood transfusion that a new allergy might show up, or is this dependant on when you first eat the particular allergy causing food? Ie. It could happen well after the blood transfusion?

Thanks. So yes, it is theoretically possible to develop a new allergy following a transfused blood product. You would expect signs within a few months if you were exposed to that particular allergen. A blood test to check your IgE and Rast levels are useful at assessing this. Your GP can request these.

Customer: replied 4 days ago.
I have been extra busy today and have just read your message. Thankyou. If you ate the food item which caused a reaction, much later than a few months after you got your blood transfusion, would this indicate it wasn't the blood transfusion donors allergies that caused the reaction? And it means there is perhaps one ingredient that you'd never before eaten in your whole life that caused it? Or can the blood donors allergies stay in the receivers blood/body system for more time than a few months and you only find out about having an allergy when you eat the particular ingredient much later. I say ingredient as I've seen on the internet that there's allergens, like gluten etc, but also allergic reactions to all sorts of food. The only ingredient I'd never had before in this food that I ate that caused me to get a reaction, was chia seeds. Every other ingredient in this food I had had before with no reaction prior. I'm also not allergic to any allergens, like gluten etc.