Dr Baker
Dr Baker, Family Physician
Experience:  MD
108371854

How long will it take for an answer online? Yes I have, I

Good morning
JA: Hello. How can I help?
Customer: How long will it take for an answer online ?
JA: Have you seen a doctor about this yet? What medications are you taking?
Customer: Yes I have
JA: Is there anything else the Doctor should know before I connect you? Rest assured that they'll be able to help you.
Customer: I was diagnosed on Aug 2nd with SVT. Went to hospital with heart rate of 216. Had to have my heart restarted at the hospital and further tests and echogram revealed a small leak in valve of my heart. I was put on bisop 2.5mg daily until I seem the cardiologist again which was 3 months later. I hadna TOE yesterday and after surgery I was a bit out of it. He did say it showed up as Moderate and not like I was told in August being mild. My plan was to hopefully come off the bisop but he wants to me to continue taking those and has also put me on a green pill daily called Coversyl Arginine 5mg daily. He wants my doc to check my bloods in three weeks as side effects of these can cause kidney problems. I am genuinely really worried as the outcome looks as it has gotten worse since Aug 2nd. I don't know why I am on the second tablet. Can a cardiologist advise ?Many thanks. Jo PS: I am only 41 and have a 7 year old son so I am worried. He wants me back in three months for am echogram
JA: Do you know if your family has a history of heart disease? In general, how would you describe your health lately?
Customer: My Dad would have had issues in the past but he drank a lot of alcohol. My own health was good only for this. I was never on medication

Thank you for contacting Just Answer

I am sorry to hear what you have gone through. They have added an Ace inhibitor. These are important for ongoing cardiac protection. It is something you could have been started on straight away, it is more of a long term protection. A TOE is more accurate and therefore it is less likely that this is progressive but that it wasn’t known from your previous investigations

An SVT is an electrical issue, they are just checking your valves as well. The bisoprolol is to control the rate. The Coversyl is protective, anyone started on this requires a blood test within a month. It is also a common first line option for those with high blood pressure.

What they see on your echocardiogram are likely incidental and most people wouldn’t know about this until later in life.

Customer: replied 15 days ago.
I still don't know where I stand though. He said the leak in the valve was moderate. Back in August it was mild. He wants me back in three months for an echogram. Why is this? I think he sees something more or that it could require a new valve. He did say that before worse case scenario would be a new valve but he just didn't tell me anything

This is just to follow up, and to review it. If this is not progressive am then a new valve would be unn

Customer: replied 15 days ago.
I am confused and don't know what he seen in the TOE only that the leak was moderate
Customer: replied 15 days ago.
Is this not a serious problem? I am only 41

It is a more accurate ultrasound, what is your confusion about this sorry?

Customer: replied 15 days ago.
Why am I put on an extra tablet
Customer: replied 15 days ago.
Something extra must have shown up
Customer: replied 15 days ago.
Also to be called back in three months for an echogram
Customer: replied 15 days ago.
He told me nothing only the leak was moderate

Anyone with raised blood pressure, valve disease. Essentially any heart problem is offered an ACEi, this is normal practice

Customer: replied 15 days ago.
Should I be worried
Customer: replied 15 days ago.
I am overweight
Customer: replied 15 days ago.
If l lose the 4 stone would that help me
Customer: replied 15 days ago.
I don't smoke, drink or do drugs
Customer: replied 15 days ago.
Or take caffeine

Understandably you are concerned. This doesn’t sound serious though. But yes, indeed if over weight, use this as an opportunity to improve your lifestyle

Customer: replied 15 days ago.
I don't know why this is happening
Customer: replied 15 days ago.
Ok thanks for your help Dr

Neither does anyone. It is just unfortunate you had the SVT, but you wouldn’t have known about the valves for many years if you didn’t have it, so this could actually be a positive rather than wait until your mid 50s and have a problem.