Shahid Karim
Shahid Karim, Doctor
Experience:  MBChB
111381268

Dr Karim, I have a question for you.

Dr Karim, I have a question for you.

Hi thanks for getting in touch, could you tell me a little more about what you'd like to discuss?

Customer: replied 3 days ago.
Hello again.I did one of those home test cholesterol kits and it said my reading was 5.2mmol/l.
Not sure how accurate that is!My question is, does normal (low-ish) blood pressure of 110/74 rule our serious cardiac issues?
I read online that if your blood pressure is normal then it doesn't matter what your cholesterol number is ***** it proves there is no clogging of the arteries. I suspect that is wishful thinking, but is there some truth in it?

Hi, I wouldn't say a normal blood pressure (or even slightly low) rules out cardiac disease as frankly we all start laying down cholesterol inside our heart's arteries from around age 10. The difference high blood pressure and persistently high cholesterol makes is that it rapidly increases this process and exaggerates it. I know I'm being a little finnicky there but the way to look at it is that with a normal BP and relatively low/normal cholesterol the life risk is very low indeed.

Customer: replied 3 days ago.
Thanks for your reply. It's good to get clarification on this - don't worry about being finnicky!
Would 5.2mmol/l class as relatively low or something to worry about? (I know it's more complicated than that and depends on LDL and HDL, etc, but just in general)

Remembering that the prick tests aren't the most accurate and also just like you said the LDL/HDL ratios etc 5.2 wouldn't be classed as particularly high at all no.

Customer: replied 3 days ago.
Thank you.When you say that they aren't accurate, do you mean they read falsely high? Or possibly falsely low too?

It could be either way really, not usually far off of the mark however.

Customer: replied 3 days ago.
Okay. Thank you. Hopefully it is nothing to worry about. My blood pressure and BMI are normal so fingers crossed. I was trying to eat more red meat because of my heavy periods so now I am in a quandary!!
Thanks for your time.

You're so welcome, you could always use more spinach for the iron content and ease back just a touch on the red meat. Come back if you've questions any time. All the best :)

Customer: replied 3 days ago.
Thank you very much

Anytime :)