Dr. P. Jyoti
Dr. P. Jyoti, Consultant MD
Experience:  17 yrs experience in treating OPD & Emergency patients.
11269312

When I’m bed laying down I can sometimes feel my heart beat

Customer Question

When I’m bed laying down I can sometimes feel my heart beat in my left back or is it a muscles spazam? I’ve been having left rib pain for around 3 days and been told by the GP it’s indigestion? Is the feeling of heart rage in my back a real issue or more phycological due to anxiety? Or something along those lines? Due to autism or PTSD?
Category: Cardiology
Expert:  Dr. P. Jyoti replied 15 days ago.

Hello, my name is***** I am a qualified MD with 18 years’ experience and I am happy to work with you on this.

I am reviewing your question and will be back with my response shortly.

Customer: replied 15 days ago.
Or is it due to being underweight? Pulse is fine and I’ve had an ultrasound of the heart

You are suffering from palpitation, an unpleasant awareness of the heart beat.

The most likely causes of your palpitation are:

Anxiety: Anxiety is the primary cause of such awareness of heart beats. These anxiety attacks are often accompanied by feelings of breathlessness, warmth in the body, impending doom, etc.

Caffeine: excessive caffeine intake can add to this.

Smoking: Nicotine is a known cause of palpitation.

Alcohol: excessive alcohol intake can cause this.

Anemia: low blood hemoglobin levels can lead to palpitation.

Thyroid: high thyroid hormone levels can lead to palpitation.

In your case, it is most likely due to anxiety and nothing else.

You should make a number of lifestyle changes which will help you.

Stop smoking.

Decrease caffeine (coffee, tea, cold drinks) and alcohol

Try to relax about this, the more attention you pay to this, the more likely that you will feel anxiety about the heart beats.

However, if you cannot control the anxiety about the palpitations on your own, it is best to see your doctor.

Discuss about having your thyroid and hemoglobin levels checked though that is probably not required.

Most important is to treat stress/anxiety and insomnia.

You should discuss with your doctor about taking Beta blockers and other anti anxiety medicines which will help you overcome this.

Hope this resolves your query. If you need more help, just write back here so l can continue to assist. Stay safe!

Dr. P. Jyoti

Customer: replied 15 days ago.
Hello, I don’t smoke nor do I drink I’ve had Anemia before my recent blood tests where fine? It kind of feels like a. Heart best but it also could be a muscle spazem it lasts for just under 2 seconds?

Its palpitation, an unpleasant awareness of the heart beat.

Causes I have given are in general since I dont know whether you smoke or drink, nor whether you have done tests for anemia or not. The answer is to be interpreted in this context.

Customer: replied 15 days ago.
Is it somethings to be worried about I’m underweight / have anorexia as well was 53kg now I’m 56kg but my anxiety is though the roof recently it’s effecting my memory as wel.

Yes, anorexia is definitely a concern. Anxiety, palptiation, anorexia are all related and feed off each other.

Customer: replied 15 days ago.
Should I speak to the dr? Regarding this?
you should definitely talk to your doctor about this, ask for anti anxiety medicines.
Customer: replied 15 days ago.
Could autism also cause this?
Expert:  Dr. P. Jyoti replied 14 days ago.

No, autism is not related to these symptoms.