Dr. Nickols M
Dr. Nickols M, Board Certified Physician
Experience:  Expert
115571763

Please can you help me. I’ve been having very fast heart

Customer Question

Hello please can you help me. I’ve been having very fast heart rate for 12 weeks now and yesterday it went up to 150bpm so I was sent for an emergency ecg can you tell me if this ecg reading is ok and it’s anxiety causing my fast heart rate or is there something seriously wrong with my heart? Last night it was going up again then back down then up again my chest was thumping I’m terrified I can’t live like this any-longer. My doctor says it’s anxiety and put me on propranolol 80mg slow release 1 per day but my heart still beats fast it’s terrifying when it happens as I think I’m going to have a stroke or heart attack
Category: Cardiology
Expert:  Dr. Nickols M replied 13 days ago.

Hello, I am Dr. Nickols M. It's a pleasure to attend to your question. Thank you very much for your trust in just answer

Customer: replied 13 days ago.
My doctor says it’s anxiety but I’m terrified there’s something serious wrong with me. The fast heart rate is happening every day and can go up to 150bpm I’m so scared. I’ve no life now I stay in the house as I’m scared to go out i can’t live like this.

Can you tell me your age?

Customer: replied 13 days ago.
38
Customer: replied 13 days ago.
Female
Customer: replied 13 days ago.
Im terrified it’s SVT? Atrial fibrillation? Ventricular Tachycardia
Customer: replied 13 days ago.
Or something serious

Do you take any medication regularly?

Customer: replied 13 days ago.
I take propranolol daily

please give me a moment

Could you send me a picture of the echogram?

Customer: replied 13 days ago.
Ecg
Customer: replied 13 days ago.
Ecg 3 days ago

ok, allow me a moment while I see the pictures

Dear customer, it is a pleasure to be able to assist you today, I am very sorry for the health situation you have been experiencing with all that you are telling me, I want to tell you that I have seen the electrocardiogram you sent me and indeed you have a tachycardia but this tachycardia is totally benign and has no other type of alteration in the electrocardiographic trace that indicates the presence of something abnormal or malignant, however, all these studies should always be complemented with more specific analyses such as a 24-hour cardiac holter, which is like an electrocardiogram that is performed during 24 consecutive hours while you carry out your normal day-to-day activities in your daily life, together with an echocardiogram and a stress ergometry that is practically a 4k video of your heart and a study that helps to determine the functioning of your heart when it is subjected to physical effort, respectively, for now with propanolol the situation should improve, one of the non-pharmacological ways to decrease the heart rate is carotid massage which is performed by placing the carotid pulse in the right lateral region of the neck and massaging in a circular way very gently without making a sudden or aggressive pressure, also taking a large inhalation of air and releasing that air as slowly as possible can help reduce the heart rate this is called valsalva maneuver and is often widely used to improve such situations which will enhance the effect also of propanol, I would like to keep me abreast of your case, I will be happy to assist you and guide you in everything I can, I will be attentive to any additional questions about it.

Customer: replied 13 days ago.
I’ve had 3 echocardiograms last year all normal

I understand, Dear, with the measures I have indicated the situation should improve satisfactorily.