Dr. Bruce
Dr. Bruce, Veterinarian
Experience:  Small animal veterinarian with 15 years experience.
14018973

My cat has been sneezing (sometimes quite violently) for the

My cat has been sneezing (sometimes quite violently) for the last 3 days and has some running discharge from his nose. His last stool was very soft with signs of him having sprayed some of it out. I have just had my boiler replaced which has taken 3 days and I am hoping that this was causing it as there has been a fair amount of dust, however I am concerned that there may be more to it. It isn't easy for me to get him to a vet as he is also epileptic. Is there any advice you can give me?

Welcome. I'm Dr. Bruce and I've been a small animal veterinarian for over 12 years. I'm sorry to hear about Morgan's situation. To best help out at this time, I need to ask a few questions. OK?

1) Is the running discharge from both nostrils?
2) Is he indoors only?
3) Any weight loss?
4) Any vomiting?
5) How often is he sneezing in a given day?
Customer: replied 6 years ago.

Hi I cant see if the discharge is from both nostrils or not as he is always licking it. I moved in November and he barely goes out, maybe 3 times a week for a few minutes. There is no sign of weight loss and he isn't vomiting. His sneezing is hard to gauge as he has had 2 sneezing fits which consisted of about 6 sneezes one after another and he is sneezing on a very regular basis approx 60 to 100 sneezes a day.

Thanks for that very good detail. Could this all be due to actual irritation from the dust in the air due to the boiler replacement? It is possible as actual irritants in the air can stimulate sneezing events. But, the other more likely possibility is that he has gotten a very mild upper respiratory infection. This is where an upper respiratory virus is causing inflammation of the sinus area and the clinical signs you're seeing. In a situation like this Suzanne, as long as he's eating well, resting, not getting extremely down and dumpy - then this is usually a situation where a cat with a good immune system will fight off the infection easily. There are situations where they can get significant secondary bacterial infections on top of the viral infections and then antibiotics are needed. But, in general, time, rest, and nutrition are what is needed to get them through this. I would keep him inside until he's over this so he has plenty of rest. I would also hope that the dust from the boiler change will start to settle out / clear. I would make sure the filter on the system is good and not plugged up causing it to not work as well.

As far as the loose stools, I would expect this to be something that just needs some time to clear up. He could have easily eaten something that just upset his intestinal tract to cause this. I would avoid the milk for now as that can be a laxative if enough is consumed.

Please let me know what I can focus more on. I'm hoping Morgan does as well here soon as I expect!