Dr. Andy
Dr. Andy, Medical Director
Experience:  Veterinarian, UC Davis graduate, emphasis in Dermatology, Internal Medicine, and Pain Control
14008320

A small blue bulbous growth has recently appeared on my cats

A small blue bulbous growth has recently appeared on my cats head poking out through his fur
Welcome! I would be happy to assist you. I am a 2003 graduate from UC Davis and a Medical Director of a veterinarian practice.

Don't forget, I will do everything possible to provide a timely and detailed response, but sometimes it can be difficult to fully answer all questions. You can always select "reply to expert" if you need further clarification or more information, prior to providing a rating.

I am sorry to hear about this concern for Paddy.

The emergence of a bulbous growth could represent several possibilities.

It could be a:
- cyst
- abscess (infection). Especially, if there is any hole or scab on or on top of it to suggest there was a puncture hole of any type)
- a benign tumor
- a cancerous growth

If it has recently appeared quite quickly, this would be well worth examination because of where it is located. When we remove skin growths in surgery, the more loose skin to work with, the easier it is to remove. So, I always recommend having it examined earlier.

If your vet is unsure what it could be, they may suggest a simple fine needle aspirate test first.
Fine-needle aspirate test is performed usually without anesthesia and is very quick. Your veterinarian takes a few needle samples from the lump (the needle is no larger than the needle used to give vaccines). The sample is smeared on to microscope slides and submitted to the laboratory. It is not always as definitive as a biopsy (this is a full tissue sample), but often it can yield enough information to help guide you and your vet as to whether a biopsy is needed, or if surgery should be performed.

I believe that's where I would start. Sorry to hear about this concern for Paddy. Hope that information has been helpful.
Please remember to select REPLY TO EXPERT if for any reason you need further clarification, have more questions, or need assistance. My goal is to provide the best answer possible prior to you leaving a feedback rating. Please remember a rating before leaving.
Dr. Andy
REMEMBER: Even after you submit feedback, you can still review our discussion. Answers given are for informational purposes only and are not meant to replace an in-person examination.