How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Pet Doc Your Own Question
Pet Doc
Pet Doc, Cat Veterinarian
Category: Cat
Satisfied Customers: 7922
Experience:  Veterinarian - BVSc (DVM equivalent). Special interest in canine and feline medicine and surgery.
Type Your Cat Question Here...
Pet Doc is online now

My cat Emma is 2 years old. I got her from a rescue centre

Customer Question

My cat Emma is 2 years old. I got her from a rescue centre in April. She's had a lot of eye problems. The vet has tried different creams but one eye is still sore/running. The vet has said he won't be able to giver her anything else only to clean her eye every day with cotton wool and warm water. Should I get a 2nd opinion from another vet? She's been on maxitrol, auromycin (not available any longer) and fucithalmic. Please advise. Thank you.
Submitted: 4 years ago.
Category: Cat
Expert:  Pet Doc replied 4 years ago.
Hi there,

Thanks for your question regarding your 2 year old girl Emma who seems to have constant eye problems! The difficulty here is that you don't know Emma's full history (given she is a rescue cat), so this eye issue could potentially be because of anything from a bad recurrent herpes viral infection, to an allergy of some description, or even due to blocked or scarred tear ducts. It certainly sounds like your vet has tried a number of different methods to treat your girl, and hopefully he has carried out a few diagnostics on her.

To be completely honest - a lot of the time eyes pose some difficulty to Veterinarians as they can be tricky to find the ultimate diagnosis on. For this reason, I would definitely recommend that you ask to be referred to a Veterinary Opthalmologist. There are quite a few in the UK and this (in my opinion) is your best bet at finding an answer as to why Emma's eyes are like this, as well as the best longterm treatment for her. The Vet Opthalmologists have the full kit they need to make a diagnosis and this may include taking a viral swab to rule out herpes virus or calicivirus, as well as a shirmer tear test to check tear production and a fluorescene dye test to check the nasolacrimal ducts (tear ducts) and to ensure there aren't any ulcers on either eye.

Your Vet (or the Vet nurses at the surgery you go to) will be more than happy to help you find a local Vet eye specialist as well as to arrange the referral for you.

I think this is the best way forward for Emma. If Emma is insured this this would be covered as well.

Best of luck with your girl and let me know how you get on. Don't forget to click a happy :-D face if this has been helpful.

Kind Regards,

Dr Edwards
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

You don't think that I should get a 2nd opinion? The vet has not done any tests on the eye at all. Emma did have cat flu when I got her. This is now better. The problem is now the eye infection that will not clear.

Expert:  Pet Doc replied 4 years ago.
Hi again Sharon,

Yes - I do definitely think you should get a second opinion. If you can afford the second opinion with the eye specialist I mentioned above - brilliant. If your enquire and the consultation fee seems too expensive with the eye specialist - then getting a second opinion at another local clinic would definitely be a fair idea as well. So long as the next Vet carries out some diagnostics so you can try and get an answer as to what is going on here - that is the main thing. As I mentioned above - ideally this would include viral swabs (and I would also recommend a swab for bacterial culture and sensitivity), as well as checking the tear ducts, checking for eye ulcers, checking for stray 'eyelashes' that could be rubbing on her eyes, or any foreign bodies under her eyelids or third eyelid.

As I say, if you can go straigh to an eye specialist, that would be the best option.

Kind Regards,

Dr E