Dr. Andy
Dr. Andy, Medical Director
Experience:  Veterinarian, UC Davis graduate, emphasis in Dermatology, Internal Medicine, and Pain Control
14008320

I have given my 6.5lb cat two drontal tablets by mistake.

I have given my 6.5lb cat two drontal tablets by mistake. will she be all right?
Welcome! My name isXXXXX am a UC Davis graduate, and currently, a Medical Director of a veterinary hospital.

I am sorry to hear about this concern.

Yes, Hermione should be okay.
I am not worried about any toxicity to the organs. However, it could still predispose to some gastrointestinal upset.
So, you'll still need to keep an eye out for:
- vomiting
- diarrhea
- loss of appetite
- irregular breathing or open mouth breathing to suggest nausea

If she does get sick, she might need some veterinary care just for basic support.

Also, if you were treating a parasite infection, and you needed that second dose, make sure to get more Drontal so you can repeat treatment in 2-3 weeks or whatever your vet recommended.

Please let me know if there is anything I did not cover for you. I hope that information has been helpful.
Please remember to select Reply to Expert, if for any reason you need further clarification, have more questions, or were expecting a different type of answer. DO NOT rate yet if have any other questions. My goal is to try and provide you the best answer possible.
Dr. Andy

Customer: replied 6 years ago.

how long would it be if she is going to have any symptoms?

Hi Carol,
Symptoms of Gi upset could start within a few hours, but even diarrhea can take up to 48 hours to observe.
The stomach upset generally can occur rather quickly within the first few hours.

Dr. Andy