Dr. Drew
Dr. Drew, Cat Veterinarian
Experience:  Small Animal Medicine and Surgery
6340741

My cat has a very bad gingivitis. I went to the vets to get

My cat has a very bad gingivitis. I went to the vets to get him checked out and see what they could do about it. The vet told me that before they could scale my cats teeth they had to do some expensive tests for Fiv and FeLV as well as some others. After that someone told me the vets were just trying to get more money from me. So my question is do I need to get my cat checked or should i just get his teeth scaled?

Dr. Drew :

Hello, thanks for your question today! I am Dr. Drew, and I am a licensed veterinarian. I'll be happy to help you in any way I can.

Dr. Drew :

Young cats with advanced gingivitis, have a high percentage of infection with either FeLV or FIV.

Dr. Drew :

The veterinarian who made that recommendation, was absolutely correct in suggesting it first.

Dr. Drew :

The person you spoke with who suggested that money was the motivating factor, was misinforming you.

Dr. Drew :

The recommendation was based on research studies showing that cats with those illnesses often have severe gingivitis.