Dr. Steve
Dr. Steve, Veterinarian
Experience:  20 years of companion animal experience
31531426

Hi,I have 4 cats,2 of them only will come in just for food

Hi,I have 4 cats,2 of them only will come in just for food and outside the rest of the time.They will not let me do anything to them,ie wormers and flea treatments.they also have fleas and have brought them into the house.I have been to the P.D.S.A ,They are not very happy with me because I can`t catch them to do anything to them.I have tried everything to help them. Both cats have been with me for over a year. They don`t have a second home and I have tried Felaway.Both cats are male and have been done.They are about 5-6 years old.Please can you help me?.Mary Rutter

Dr. Steve :

Hi,I'm Dr Steve.I see you are offline.I have some thoughts for you , but want to be sure I understand what you are trying to do. You want to be able to treat them for fleas and worms. Since they are not able to be handled, so the only option is on oral product that can be mixed with soft food. There are two products that may help. One is called Milbemax. THis is a liquid that kills all 4 mojor worms in cats. The other is called Program and will address fleas in cats. These two are liquids that can be mixed with food. The Program doesn't kill fleas, but it sterilizes them so their eggs won't hatch. This may not be much help, but if you live in an area that freezes, once the frost happens, it should kill the fleas in the environment and the eggs won't hatch until spring. ONe option would be to just wait until a frost occurs. The program is more designed to use for preventing flea eggs from contaminating a house. It is not very much help with outside cats. There is a pill called Capstar that kills fleas very quickly. Its limitation is that it only lasts 24 hours. This would at least give them some relief until a frost occurs.

Dr. Steve :

If you are willing to try this, I would find some soft food that they like, mix the milbemax into it to address any worms and then mix a crushed up Capstar ( one per cat) into the food the next day. THis is not ideal but is one way to give them some relief. These products are either available from a vet or online with a vet prescription. I don't know if your cats will eat the food with the medicine in it, some cats are very finicky eaters and they may refuse to eat ., but again it is worth a try. I hope this has helped. If it has would you please rate my answer. I will check later this evening to see if you have more questions. Thanks for the question and good luck.