Dr. Drew
Dr. Drew, Cat Veterinarian
Experience:  Small Animal Medicine and Surgery
6340741

My Cat has eaten virtually nothing for 9 days, he is drinking

My Cat has eaten virtually nothing for 9 days, he is drinking water,does not seem in pain but is terribly thin.He was very slim before this refusal to eat. He has no other symptons and his behaviour has not changed.

Dr. Drew :

Hello, thanks for your question today! I am Dr. Drew, and I am a licensed veterinarian. I'll be happy to help you in any way I can.

Dr. Drew :

A cat who has gone that long without eating, is likely to be in quite a dire situation.

Dr. Drew :

cats who go more than a few days without eating, are at severe risk of secondary problems, including liver failure, dehydration (even if drinking water), electrolyte imbalances, heart failure, and others.

Dr. Drew :

At the advanced age of 16, possible causes of loss of appetite, most often include kidney failure, diabetes, cancer, or heart disease.

Dr. Drew :

Little'un would likely require some blood and urine tests, and probably would need to be hospitalized on intravenous fluids, right away.

Dr. Drew :

At-home care is not likely to be very productive in such a situation,

Dr. Drew :

though you can try to offer chicken broth mixed with water, 50-50 mix, to provide replacement of electrolytes such as sodium and potassium.

Dr. Drew :

you also can try an anti nausea medicine, such as Meclizine, 1/4 of a 25 mg tablet, every 12 to 24 hours.

Dr. Drew :

this is sold without a prescription, as a motion sickness medicine for people.

Customer:

thank you, XXXXX XXXXX can't afford the fees to have the tests done or hospitalisation, nor do I want to cause him more stress than is necessary. your answer is as I expected and as he is not in pain at the moment and the prognosis sounds bad i think i will try the advice you have given,keep him at home with us and hope he can pass peacefully away.

Dr. Drew :

ok, I understand your situation, hopefully the meclizine might help a bit.

Dr. Drew :

you can also use a syringe or dropper to trickle some diluted broth in the mouth.

Customer:

Thank you, XXXXX XXXXX try the chicken broth now.