Dr. Steve
Dr. Steve, Veterinarian
Experience:  20 years of companion animal experience
31531426

My cat seems unwell and has been sleeping alot the last 24

My cat seems unwell and has been sleeping alot the last 24 hours. he seems to have vomited several times in the last day or two and has a brownish goo around his mouth, he has been eating and his eyes are bright but seems tired and not himself...what could this be?

Dr. Steve :

HI,I'm Dr STeve. I am sorry to hear about Henry's problems.

Dr. Steve :

From your description of his problem, there are a number of possible causes. Being unwell and lethargic can be caused by a fever which is often caused by an infection. THe fever makes cats feel poorly enough to not want to be active and not interested in their surroundings.

Dr. Steve :

It sounds like his main symptom is vomiting. Once a cat vomits, they can continue to cause irritation to the stomach and they can develop a vomiting cycle. This further makes them feel poorly.

Dr. Steve :

The brownish goo around his mouth could be from dried blood from the stomach or possibly from some where in his mouth, possibly his gums.

Dr. Steve :

At his age, one of the more common causes of vomiting can be getting into or eating something that irritates his stomach. If the irritation is mild, it can sometimes resolve on its own. If no improvement is seen in 24-36 hours I have my clients bring him in to be examined. There are medicines that can be injected that will break the vomiting cycle. Did this come on suddenly or was it a slow event?

Customer:

its just been the last day or so, there has been evidence of him eating a mouse in the last week (which is a common occurence)

Dr. Steve :

Has he gotten any better or stayed about the same.

Customer:

he's the same now as 8 hours ago...just seems tired, I did stroke him a little earlier and he coughed as if he were about to vomit but then went back to sleep

Dr. Steve :

Is his appetite the same as usual or reduced?

Customer:

reduced..he has eaten today but not much, about half as much as usual

Dr. Steve :

That makes sense. Does he seem to be comfortable at the moment?

Customer:

seems fine just sleeping and purrs when I go near which i assume is a good sign, didnt complain too much when I cleaned his mouth a little

Dr. Steve :

In mild cases of vomiting, I often have clients withhold food and water for 12 hours. This helps to let the stomach settle and heal. Then after 12 hours I have them give 1/4 the usual amount of food every few days.This prevents overloading the stomach. I also have them give water in small amounts throughout the day. THis helps many cases of vomiting.

Dr. Steve :

If the vomiting continues after the 12 hour fast, IT is a sign that there may be something more serious wrong or something that may need antibiotics to resolve.

Dr. Steve :

It is good that he can be comfortable. Can you tell me the last time he urinated?

Customer:

He went out around 8 hours ago before i went to work, but i dont know if he has been between then & now...he's a very outdoors cat so its hard to tell

Dr. Steve :

OK, that's ok, I was just curious.

Dr. Steve :

Can you tell when the last time he vomited was. How many hours ago it was?

Customer:

over 12 hours ago I think

Dr. Steve :

Has he eaten in the last 12 hours?

Customer:

yes, around 8 hours ago and a few hours before that aswell - small amounts

Dr. Steve :

That is a great sign that he did not vomit . One option would be to continue to feed him small amounts every few hours and see if the vomiting has resolved itself. If he does vomit again, I believe that it would be in his best interest to be seen by a vet at that time.

Customer:

Thats great, You've been a big help. Thank you for the advice