How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Dr. Deb Your Own Question
Dr. Deb
Dr. Deb, Cat Veterinarian
Category: Cat
Satisfied Customers: 10950
Experience:  I have been a practicing veterinarian for over 30 years.
Type Your Cat Question Here...
Dr. Deb is online now

My cat was scalded by my little girls hot water. Now his skin

Customer Question

My cat was scalded by my little girls hot water. Now his skin is coning off on a strip. I'm really worried also he had lily pollen on him yesterday and my aunt said that he could die
Submitted: 4 years ago.
Category: Cat
Expert:  Dr. Deb replied 4 years ago.
Hello, I'm Dr. Deb and I'll do my best to help you today.

I'm so sorry that this happened to your cat but accidents do happen and I'm sure your daughter feels horrible about this!

I do have a few additional questions to ask first, if you don't mind:

1. When did this happen?
2. How large an area is involved?
3. Where on his body is it located?
4. What does his skin look like (if you can tell)? Is it oozing, red? Is there an odor?
5. What kind of lily was it?
6. Did he ingest any lily pollen?

There may be a slight delay after I receive your answers since I have to type up a response to you. Thanks for your patience. Deb

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Hi and thank you

ItIt happened two weeks ago and it was a area as big as a two p coin. I saw it getting crusty and thought it was healing.

Its just at nape of his neck but the fur is peeling off with skin in a long strip from the wound to his back. Its quite pink but not smelling and not oozing like a picked cut

The lillies wrote the normal traditional ones. Heate fflowers two weeks ago but was really sick and was fine. Yesterday he was covered inlily pollen so we ddon't know if he ate one or not.

Expert:  Dr. Deb replied 4 years ago.

Thanks so much for the additional information.


Let me address your concerns separately.

When it comes to burns on a cat's skin, they always look worse before they look better. They can also take several days to develop. It doesn't sound infected from your description and should heal just fine.
I'd gently clean the area with very dilute over the counter betadine or iodine (to the color of weak tea) twice a day. he he can't reach the area to lick off any cream, you can apply over the counter antibacterial ointment such as you would use on a wound for yourself.

As far as the lilies are concerned, however, there are ones which could be quite dangerous although there are others which are quite benign. Obviously it will be important to know which kind you have.


Benign lilies include the Peace, Peruvian, and Calla lilies; these contain oxalate crystals that can cause minor signs such as mouth irritation involving the tongue, pharynx, and esophagus. Signs which might be seen would be drooling, pawing at the mouth, foaming, and vomiting but the signs shouldn't last long.


The more dangerous, potentially fatal lilies are true lilies of the Lilium or Hemerocallis species. Examples include the tiger, day, Asiatic hybrid, Easter, Japanese Show, rubrum, stargazer, red, Western, and wood lilies. Even ingestion of a small amount of these lillies whether the leaves, petals or pollen can cause severe, fatal kidney disease.


If he was exposed to one of these lilies, then I'd advise you to have him seen as soon as possible. Treatment needs to be started immediately!


I hope this helps and that his lily exposure was to one of the benign varieties. Deb