How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Dr. Ann M. Your Own Question
Dr. Ann M.
Dr. Ann M., Cat Veterinarian
Category: Cat
Satisfied Customers: 5021
Experience:  ER and general medicine Veterinarian since 2005
Type Your Cat Question Here...
Dr. Ann M. is online now

my 2 year old cat is in vet hospital with broken tib and fib..

This answer was rated:

my 2 year old cat is in vet hospital with broken tib and fib.. xray today and tomorrow surgeon vet will tell me options
The vets are lovely but I just want the best for my beautiful cat
My cat has been on intravenous drip since Sunday and tries to walk, walked home after accident
Amputation has been mentioned and I am very upset about this, however will not know until tomorrow morning
He is very well cared for with pain relief
Thank you
Hi there and thank you for your question. My name is XXXXX XXXXX I am a licensed veterinarian and I would be happy to assist you.

Can you tell me what the fracture looked like on x-ray- were the fractures in the middle of the long bones, or towards one end? Were there many fragments of bone and little chips, or just broken in two? Are the bones sticking out through the skin, or not?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

I have not seen xrays

Bone not sticking out and think fracture in middle of bones

Okay. I would not amputate for this type of fracture. In fact, we typically treat this type of fracture with a cast/splint for a month and then recheck x-rays after a month. Surgeons almost always want to fix things surgically, and that is an option, too, with pins and wires. These types of fractures in young animals typically heal well, and relatively quickly, too. Surgery to repair the fracture is the best option, but most expensive. Next best option would be to cast it and recheck in a month. I would not even consider amputation unless a cast has already failed.

I hope that I have answered your question thoroughly... if you feel that I have provided anything less than excellent service, please reply to me first before rating my service and let me know how I can better assist you. Thank you for your question; it has been a pleasure being able to provide assistance. Best of luck.
Dr. Ann M. and other Cat Specialists are ready to help you