Dr. Deb
Dr. Deb, Cat Veterinarian
Experience:  I have been a practicing veterinarian for over 30 years.

My 11 year old cat had dental work done 2 days ago and he cant

My 11 year old cat had dental work done 2 days ago and he can't meow. He is eating and moving normally but when he tries to meow no sound comes out.

Hello Marley, I'm Dr. Deb. I'll do my best to help you today.

I'm sorry for this concern for Salem; I can understand why you might be worried about him.

It sounds like he may be suffering from laryngitis which is either going to be a primary condition or secondary to something else (the more common of the two).
Any irritation to the throat which might cause inflammation and/or swelling of the structures in the back of the throat could be responsible. Since he just had a dental and if an endotrachael tube was inserted into his throat, then this could be enough to cause this problem.
Other common explanations for laryngitis in a cat include: infections such as Upper Respiratory Infections (aka Feline Flu), ingestion of irritating substances (such as grass), inhalation of irritating vapors/

Since he's not showing other symptoms such as lethargy or disinterest in food or difficulty breathing, then a recheck at this time is not necessary. I would just monitor the situation; his voice should return in about a week or so.

I might feed very soft food so that the throat doesn't become more irritated, though

I hope this helps and provides reassurance. Deb

Thanks for the rating; it's greatly appreciated.

Good luck with Salem; I hope he's talking to you again very soon:) Regards, Deb