Dr Scott Nimmo
Dr Scott Nimmo, Small Animal Veterinary Surgeon.
Experience:  BVMS, MRCVS. { Glasgow UK }
10315041

I was wondering if 3 injections of Dimazon diuretic in the

I was wondering if 3 injections of Dimazon diuretic in the space of 1 - 1.5 hrs would be considered to be to much. My cat died after receiving this while at the vets. I understand the dosages were considered to be standard strength.
Scott Nimmo :

So sorry to hear about your cat, my name is ***** ***** I am an experienced small animal veterinary surgeon, I will be very pleased to work with you today and will try my best to answer your question to your satisfaction.

Scott Nimmo :

What condition was your cat suffering from?

JACUSTOMER-3gqxbnno- :

They said he had fluid on his chest and he was known to have an enlarged heart

Scott Nimmo :

I thought that might be the case, the most likely scenario here would have been that the cat was slipping away anyway and the Dimazon was given at that frequency as a last ditch attempt to control things ...

JACUSTOMER-3gqxbnno- :

But he was taken to the vets because he wasn't eating. He was being looked after by my neighbours when I was away on holiday

Scott Nimmo :

It is true that it is not normally given so frequently though, here is a link to the professional data sheet for this drug LINK

We can still chat this way ...
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

But was the dosage excessive?

You see fluid build up in the chest related to heart disease is a very serious symptom which has to be brought under control very quickly.
The Dimazon alone would not cause death, even at higher dose levels ...
I know this is very hard for you but probably your cat was slipping away due to the heart disease and the extra doses were given because the initial injection was not working ...
I have known this happen ...
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

OK thanks. He died of a (probable) heart attack. But I suspect stress played a major part in his demise. He had been panting sometimes, but this subsided when he began to relax.

Hello again,
It does sound like heart disease was the cause of death I am afraid ...
Not easy for you I know ...
Regards,
Scott