How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Dr. B. Your Own Question
Dr. B.
Dr. B., Cat Veterinarian
Category: Cat
Satisfied Customers: 22616
Experience:  I am a small animal veterinarian with a special interest in cats and am happy to discuss any questions you have.
Type Your Cat Question Here...
Dr. B. is online now

My 3 year old British Bicolour shorthair lost her appetite

This answer was rated:

My 3 year old British Bicolour shorthair lost her appetite last Sunday and started to vomit.
Monday, visited the vet, she was given a checkup and injection of antibiotic and antinflamitary. Symptoms persisted.
Wednesday back to vet and had a consultation with a more senior member of the prctice.
she was diagnosed as having constipation, she was kept in and given 2x Enemas then sent home with an oral laxative for me to administer.Symptoms persisted and refused to eat even most favourite foods.
Thursday back to vet same Doctor gave her a pain relief injection. Seeemed to respond, more livey and ate about a quarter of her normal food.
Friday evening started vomiting and brought up all the previously eaten food, no horrible smell just undigested. Kept her quiet and warm, all she would accept was some fresh water.
Saturday PM back to vet as vomiting/retching persisting. Diagnosed still constipated and administered another enema. The emema was effective but there was very little pooh.
All she would take was fresh water. She was sick in small ammounts 3 times during the evening and once this morning.
I would very much appreciate a second opinion, my vets are brilliant and I dont want to offend them but 7 days of no nourishment is causing me great concern. Otherwise my cat is in very good condition, she is alert but doesn't want to move around much. I guess she is sore from all the retching.
Thank you very much.

Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you with your wee one today.

Was Mawes xrayed at any stage (to see if there was anything more then constipation and whether they did get all the feces out post-enema)?

Any chance she ate something she should not have that could be stuck or harming her gut (ie bones, ribbons, string, plants, chemicals, etc)?

Are her gums pink or pale/white?

Has she been treated with any anti-nausea or vomiting injections?

If you press on her belly does she have any discomfort or tensing?

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Hi Dr. B

Thanks for you time.

No xrays have been done even though I did suggest it.

It is always possible she's eaten something but I've checked plants, I don't leave chemicals around or tempting string and other objects.

Her gums are pale pink.

Not been treated with any anti nausea injections.

Difficult to tell but she seems uncomfortable when handled.


Thank you Graham,

Now as she is showing upper GI signs (nausea, anorexia), we should have progressively less feces in her GI to be causing constipation. If there has been suspicion of constipation over this week, I would question whether this was arising alongside her vomiting because something is causing at least a partial obstruction. And this would be highly suspect with her being so young, otherwise seems well (unlike a cat with an bacterial or viral illness), likely mischievous, and when she does eat it sounds like her food isn't getting far before its being vomited back up. Therefore, if she isn't improving an xray would be indicated to let you see what is actually lurking in her gut and potentially causing her troubles.

Further to this, if we have nauseated cats that are vomiting, we do always want to address this. The reason is because cats are not well designed to be off their food (as they can develop secondary fatty liver syndrome) and we always want to get them back to eating as quickly as possible. So, if her vets didn't treat her for this, then this is an angle we'd really want to consider. Now with the degree of nausea she has, it would be ideal for her to be started on injectable anti-vomiting therapy (ie Cerenia, Ondansetron, avoiding Metoclopramide if we suspect a foreign body hiding in her GI). That said, since it is the weekend and she can at least keep water down, I would note that you could consider trying her on an antacid. There are a number of antacids that are available over the counter and pet friendly. I would advise only treating with one, but the two I tend to recommend are Pepcid (More Info/Dose), Omeprazole (More Info/Dose) or Zantac (More Info/Dose). This medication of course shouldn’t be given without consulting your vet if she does have any pre-existing conditions or is on any other medications you didn't mention. Ideally, it should be given about 30 minutes before food to ease her upset stomach.

Once on board, you will want continue to try and see if you can get her eating. Favourite foods are allowed as you have but also consider tempting her with a light/easily digestible diet. Examples of this would be boiled chicken, boiled white fish, scrambled eggs (made with water and not milk), meat baby food (do avoid the ones with garlic powder in the ingredients) or there are also veterinary prescription diets that can be used here (ie Hill’s I/D or Royal Canin’s sensitivity.) You can offer small frequent meals for her (start with a spoonful at a time and give her 30 minute breaks between each to let the previous feed leave her stomach) to discourage further GI upset.

Further to this despite the already long term poor appetite you are combating, with her vomiting you won't be in a position where you can syringe feed (unless we can get her settled with the antacid). That said, I would just note that you can considering offering Hill's A/D (LINK), Royal Canin Recovery (LINK), or Clinicare Canine/Feline Liquid Diet (LINK). All of these are critical care diets that are calorically dense, so a little goes a long way nutrition-wise. And these could just help get some more calories into her even if we can’t get a huge volume of food in. If your vet isn't open to dispense these (though some pet stores may carry the liquid diet) you can try wet kitten food since its more nutrient dense. And since she can drink without issue, the liquid diet or these other diets watered down may sit better with her and allow us to get some food in.

Overall, it does sound like your vets and yourself have been trying to address this GI situation for Mawes. Still with her signs and lack of treatment response, this would be a stage to consider taking the next step diagnostically. Therefore, since she is actively vomiting, anti-vomiting treatment would be prudent here to halt that, settle her stomach, and hopefully help her appetite. Further to this, if she does have an uncomfortable belly, recurrent constipation, and is a mischievous young soul; then an xray would be a prudent means to let you see into her GI and make sure nothing is being missed. Depending on xray findings and supportive anti-vomiting treatment, we will hopefully be able to pinpoint the cause of her signs so that it can be addressed and settled for her before she starts to lose weight or wastes away with this.

I hope this information is helpful.

If you need any additional information, do not hesitate to ask!

All the best,

Dr. B.


If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. Please remember to rate my service once you have all the information you need. Thank you and hope to see you again soon! : )

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Hi Dr. B.

Thanks for all the info and suggestions.

She is mischevious and may have picked up something during her maraudings. My worry is fatty liver disease and I need her treated before she really does take a dive.

I'v tried all her favourite foods but will give wet kitten and meat baby food a try.

I'll keep her indoors and quiet today but tomorrow it'll be back to my vet again as I do agree that the next step in diagnosis should be taken.

Thank you once again and best regards.


You are very welcome, Graham.

I agree that fatty liver disease is a concern as the days pass and a good reason for us to be proactive in getting Mawes back on her food properly. As well, if she is a mischievous soul, then it is again ideal to be aggressive with getting to the bottom of this quickly. Especially when it is not uncommon for cats to throw us curve balls by eating odd things and then only giving vague clues of what they have done (For example, I have recently had a kitty patient with similar signs due to her eating a corner of a yoga mat). So, do try the above supportive care today with a view to speaking to her vets in the morning about those next steps. Finally, I would just note that to help hasten them getting her in for a potential xray, do plan to withhold food after tea time tonight (water can be left down). That way if she has an empty stomach, there will be nothing to delay admitting her tomorrow morning for getting an xray if need be.

All the best,

Dr. B.


If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. Please remember to rate my service once you have all the information you need. Thank you and hope to see you again soon! : )

Dr. B. and 2 other Cat Specialists are ready to help you